• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

luminous paint "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I just bought two vintage clocks (bedside type). One had luminous hands at one time but these no longer glow. The others are standard hands w/o luminous qualities. What kind of paint should I buy to make these hands glow and where do I purchase it?

Thank you,

John Grennan

Posts: 3233 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: June 25, 2008
IHC Vice President
Pitfalls Moderator
IHC Life Member
Picture of Edward L. Parsons, Jr.
posted
Well John, you can't get the old radium paint they used back in the day.

Here's a prior discussion topic on this subject where good results were produced on a watch by a professional dial refinishing service:

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...161068813#4161068813

I assume these people would also redo a clock.

Best Regards,

Ed

Posts: 6696 | Location: Southwestern Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: April 19, 2004
posted
Thank you all, I will try International.

jg

IHC Life Member
Picture of William D. White
posted
John,

Also try this product HERE. It's non toxic and basically white/cream in color. You can tint it with standard water color paints to obtain that aged look. The only problem is getting rid of the old radium and I can't advise you there. Just be very careful not to allow the deteriorated compound to become airborne.

William

Posts: 1568 | Location: San Francisco, California USA | Registered: September 01, 2008
posted
Thank you William I will try it.

jg