Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Regulator "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of John D. Duvall
posted
Could someone please tell me when Elgin (or who else) made this clock? It looks to be in pretty good shape and I could use a good clock to time my pocket watches. Smile

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2186492795&category=10022

John D. Duvall
Vice President, Education

Posts: 1123 | Location: Arizona U.S.A. | Registered: January 21, 2003
posted
Save your money and buy one of those clocks that pick up the signal from NIST. You can get one for around $20 at your local WalMart.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Probably about 15 years after the Hamilton in the attached picture was made. It hangs in my bathroom.

HAMILTON

IHC Life Member
posted
John,

I was joking about using it for timing watches, i.e. the smiley face.

So approx what year do you believe this clock was manufactured or when was your nice Hamilton made?

Thanks for any info.

John D. Duvall

posted
In my opionion, the clock is fairly recent, maybe less than 10 years. I don't remember when LaRose and Merritts' began selling the Asian 31-day movements and clocks, but it must be about 30 years now. I got the Hamilton sometime in the 1970's at a local department store that bought distressed merchandise, closeouts, excess production, and material from insurance companies who paid for storm damage and other natural disasters to stores. They had some very interesting items, but sadly, they've been closed and gone for a long time. If anyone reading this is in the Knoxville, TN area, they will recognize the name of the store: Watsons and it's Oak Ridge branch Value Mart.
Sad to see how the old brand names are being used by marketers these days.
The only connection between the clock and the original Elgin Watch Company is the name.
Vintage is this instance implies a screw-off cap on a 5-liter jug and not a bottle sealed with a real cork.

[This message was edited by John Arrowood on August 26, 2003 at 10:23.]

[This message was edited by John Arrowood on August 26, 2003 at 11:00.]

IHC Life Member
posted
Thanks John, that's the info I needed.

John D. Duvall