Internet Horology Club 185
Baldwin Clock

This topic can be found at:
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9886029761/m/4776078504

August 23, 2003, 19:12
Wayne C. Anderson
Baldwin Clock
Found a Baldwin Clock with Westminster Chimes at a local flea market. Would anyone have any general information on Baldwin Clocks (other than they were made in Germany)? Thanks

Baldwin

August 23, 2003, 19:52
John Arrowood
Just a hunch, was it sold by Baldwin Piano Company? I recall seeing advertisements a few years ago placed by a piano shop with both pianos and clocks in the illustrations and I was in the store a couple times but can't remember the name. Examine the back plate of the movement closely and look for the name of the manufacturer of the movement. Hermle, Jauch, etc.
August 23, 2003, 19:58
Wayne C. Anderson
The movement is marked "Baldwin Two (2) Jewels Made in West Germany 340-020". Appears to be a 30 day movement - in working condition.
August 23, 2003, 20:57
"Curly" Sjolander
Wayne, the number 340-020 is for a Hermle 8 day westminster movement, will probably have a floating balance. parts are available for these movements in case any are needed

Curly
August 23, 2003, 21:37
Tom Seymour
What would be the age of that clock?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.
August 25, 2003, 06:31
John Arrowood
The clock is probably 25-30 years old, since you can still buy replacement movements with the same model number. I bought the bare movement from LaRose a year or so ago to replace one that was 15-20 years old. It was more cost effective for me to buy a new movement than to try to repair the old one. I don't have the patience, skill, or nerve to start and understand from comments from others that repairing one of these is a pain. If you have to pay someone to do the repair a replacement movement is the best option since that's quite easy to do, remove the hands and a few screws, pull out the old movement, insert the new and replace the screws and hands, wind it up and set it.