Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Baldwin Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Found a Baldwin Clock with Westminster Chimes at a local flea market. Would anyone have any general information on Baldwin Clocks (other than they were made in Germany)? Thanks

Baldwin

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Just a hunch, was it sold by Baldwin Piano Company? I recall seeing advertisements a few years ago placed by a piano shop with both pianos and clocks in the illustrations and I was in the store a couple times but can't remember the name. Examine the back plate of the movement closely and look for the name of the manufacturer of the movement. Hermle, Jauch, etc.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
The movement is marked "Baldwin Two (2) Jewels Made in West Germany 340-020". Appears to be a 30 day movement - in working condition.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Member 43
posted
Wayne, the number 340-020 is for a Hermle 8 day westminster movement, will probably have a floating balance. parts are available for these movements in case any are needed

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
What would be the age of that clock?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
The clock is probably 25-30 years old, since you can still buy replacement movements with the same model number. I bought the bare movement from LaRose a year or so ago to replace one that was 15-20 years old. It was more cost effective for me to buy a new movement than to try to repair the old one. I don't have the patience, skill, or nerve to start and understand from comments from others that repairing one of these is a pain. If you have to pay someone to do the repair a replacement movement is the best option since that's quite easy to do, remove the hands and a few screws, pull out the old movement, insert the new and replace the screws and hands, wind it up and set it.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002