Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Daniel Pratt & Sons Gallery Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
To all,

"Stumbled" onto a 30 hour gallery clock with Daniel Pratt & Sons, Reading, Mass. partial label. The clock appears to be rosewood veneer, in decent condition with a few chips. Brass bezel is intact, glass held with old "crumbling" putty. The bezel clasp seems incomplete. Upon removing the dial a stamped "Seth Thomas, Thomaston, Conn." lever type 2 (from Tran Duy Ly's reference originally from the 1901 Seth Thomas catalogue) movement. Clock is running. Seconds hand is missing. Is this clock and it's components common? My research into Pratt shows no association with Seth Thomas. Also Daniel Pratt, Jr. passed away in 1871, and labels bearing his name ceased to appear about that time.

Thanks all for your time...

Tim Ryan
IHC Charter #36
NAWCC #44365

Posts: 13 | Location: Lynn, Massachusetts USA | Registered: December 26, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Sounds really beautiful Tim! I'm sure we'd all love to see a picture or two while the experts ponder this one.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

Hope the attached photo (first attempt) appears.

Tim

Danile Pratt & Sons Gallery Clock

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nice clock Tim. I'll see what I can find on Daniel Pratt and Sons. Glad you got the picture thing going.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC #41293
IHC #104
IHC Exec.V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
I agree with Tom, your picture turned out very well. Once you figure out how to post the picture it's pretty simple. By the way, just how large is that clock?

We'll all look forward to what Tom finds out about it.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell & Tom,

The clock measure as follows:

8 3/4" diameter case
6 1/2" diameter bezel
4 7/8" diameter time track

If I get rambunctious and anyone wants to see it, I'll remove the dial and attempt a photo of the movement.

Tim

posted
all,

because I'm "blind in one eye, and can't see with the other" I read the label incorrectly. It reads "Daniel Pratt's Sons, Reading Mass." so a much later date than 1871 is probable.

still trying to ascertain the correct date.

sorry for the wrong information.

Tim