Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Some thing just looks strange! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Had a customer bring in a clock this am, took it down to my shop area, hung it up on my "to do" wall. Hmm...

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Hi Greg, you have a few clocks on your to do wall.Some nice ones there.I have a to do list.
I guess i would have to get into my shop to put a clock on the wall.
It is in dire need of a clean up, organize job.
Smile Roll Eyes

posted
Hi Greg:
That ole regulator obviously has very little value without the dial.I suggest you hook me up with your customer so I can offer him or her an obscenely ridiculously lowball price for it.I'm probably getting the worst of it but I'll make the sacrifice for the sake of horology.
Your friend,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Kevin, you wouldn't beleive it by what you see...but I'm constantly(almost to a fault) trying to keep things picked -up.

Robert, I'll see what I can do...
The dial is being re-painted, should have it back by the end of the month. Check in the repair section of this list.

Just looks so strange to have those two hanging side by side.
greg

posted
Greg, that is what i mean, my shop is messy compared to yours.Yours looks neat and organized, i really admire a tidy shop.I wish i could find things that i know are in my shop, but where did i put them.
Confused

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Nice "Watch Dog" clock there Greg. And that facelsss wooden thing next to it is probably just in your way. If Bob can't make it there, I'll do a friend a favor and take it off your hands.

By the way, is that an electrical cord running from the bottom of the regulator? Is the weight just for show?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Smile
The "Red Dog" is one that was purchased from the internet, but doesn't work according to the owner.

The owner of the regulator paid $700, asked me if it was worth it! Good deal! This is the one where I sent the dial to Martha to be restored.

The electrical cord actually goes to an air filter, just looks like it goes to the regulator!

greg

posted
Hi Greg:
I was just curious,are you a full time clocksmith,part time,or combination hobbiest and part time.From what I can see of your shop it looks great,very orderly.How about a few shop pictures.I'd like to see your layout.Always looking for ideas.
Thank you for your pictures.
Your Friend,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
I'm supposed to be full time, however the last 8 months have been very, very slow. So I took on a part-time job at Lowe's Home Improvement. I really like it there working in the Garden Center, but it takes a lot of getting used to working for some one else again.

For repairing clocks my workshop is in my basement. It's a converted Cistern!

"Case work" is done in an out building.

Greg

PS: this one is the south east corner

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
South West corner

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
North east, and of course the one showing the Red Dog Clock is the North.

posted
Hi Greg:
Its certainly a beautiful shop.Looks to be well layed out and very clean.As a matter of fact it looks better than my living room,certainly a helluva lot cleaner.
Thanks for the quick reply and the great pictures and if you can't part with that dialless S.T.#2 I will be more than happy to take that Fashion Calendar off your hands.That way you can have some more shelf space.Just trying to help.
Your Friend,Bob Fullerton

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The Ithaca Fashion has been sitting there running since before Thanksgiving. I haven't heard anything from them.

It comes in handy...so far I've not had to buy a 2005 calander for the shop Eek!

greg

posted
Hi Greg, your shop is pristine, compared to mine.I am too embarased to take a picture of it in it,s current condition.I like your anniversary clocks in your picture.Great pictures by the way.I always like shop pictures.
Smile Wink

posted
Your shop looks great! I am buiding mine slowly, got the wall up separating it from the family room but the drywall is only on the family room side, so far. I'll get back to it when the family room is done.

I like the Slatwall too. Do you find it to be really useful? What hooks do you use? Seems the ones available will hold the top of the clock away from the wall a bit.

What is the plywood box I see with the PVC coming out of the top? A movement dryer?

Good job!

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great looking shop Greg! One can only dream about that much space and organization.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
J. Bruce, Thanks...I love the slatwall...its so easy as compared to pegboard.

As the hooks go, yes they tend to hold the tops of the clocks out too far. What I did was to buy the plain ones and drill and tap a hole in it, place a lock washer on on a bolt, tighten the bolt as far as I could it and then file down the bolt. (see photo below) I forgot to mention, that with the threads on the bolt there is an added benefit of a more secure "hold".

Yes, the plywood box is a movement dryer. The pvc takes the heated air and most of the smell up to a fan vented to the outside.

Thanks Tom, its only 9 X 12, looks larger than it is. Wish I had about 3 times that space. What you all don't see are the boxes of stuff stored in various places throughout the rest of the basement and out buildings. Don't know if I dare share those with you! Eek

Greg

posted
Greg,

Maybe the plain hooks can be bent at the bottom to form a hook for hanging? I'll have to look at them.

I used to work in a shop tat was only 6 X 9, half the size of your's. But that was with the lathe (6 X 18 Atlas) separately in the basement.

Now I am building 10 X 21 (almost too large) but am still 6-12 months away from completing it. I still get a considerable amount of work done by 'improvising'. I have 2 - 3' X 7' free standing bookshelves with adjustable shelves for shelf clocks, and I just drove 5 drywall screws through the drywall into the studs for hanging clocks. Grandfathers have their own stand (which they share with the cuckoos!)

I threw together a 4 shelf unit 2' X 8' for storage of cases, waiting work or finished work to be delivered.

It looks much messier than yours, but I call it home! If I ever get a digital camera, I'll post some shots someday.

Regards,

J. Bruce Weeks

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004