• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Longcase clock dial "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Was wondering if anyone could tell me the age of this dial. I've been told it is "Georgian" but that covers quite a period. Has anybody ever heard of Thomas Parsons of Wotton Underedge?

The movement is the usual 8day weight driven movement. I don't yet have the clock in hand and the photos I received are pretty sorry.

Was hoping someone with a knowledge of these clocks might have a little insight. Thanks

Posts: 124 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: May 27, 2009
posted
Decided to go ahead and show this.. Ask me no questions---

posted
I'll tell you no lies

posted
Almost too much to resist finishing that one......
Regards.....John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
This is a listing from Gell and Bradshaws 1820 directory *** Parsons Thomas, cabinet maker, upholsterer, and undertaker Wotton Underedge ***
I would tend to think he is the one Big Grin

There is another listing for a Thomas Parsons in Worcester England in 1768 who made clocks and watches according to Baillie's. This is 51.1 miles from Wotton Underedge according to Google Maps, Confused Perhaps he made clocks and watches in Worcester early and moved to Wotton underedge later ????? Maybe !!!! They are pretty close proximity to each other Wink Whatever the case may be it is a nice plain early English bellringer well worth casing up!!!!!

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Thanks Tom. I'm going to believe they are the same guy. It could happen!! Anyway fun to speculate. Yes I'm going to try to construct a nice case if I can find a set of plans for a 18th century flat top case.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Michael: Sorry this post being so late. When you remove the dial, it will more than likely show more information on that "sub-plate" holding the dial. I have a Scottish clock with the same configuration. It should have a name molded into that part which is usually the name of the dial maker. Those I believe are made by a different maker than the movement. Mine was easily id'd in the time block of 30 years for that particular maker (1780-1810). With those two names it really helps a lot, but especially the sub-plate maker can be specifically tied to the number of years that man operated.
Hope that helps.
Moses in Waxhaw NC

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Moses, I just found your note! Thanks for your reply. I had taken the dial off and found the false plate stamped with the dial makers name (which was about the same as yours) I verified this with a dial restorer in England. The name on the dial face we are assuming to be the clockmaker or the case maker or both. All of these were working at roughly the same period. Kind of gives a rough idea of when things happened anyway. Thanks again, Mike

posted
Mike, this looks like the case you need, oak w/inlay. Joe S

Posts: 7 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: July 17, 2011
posted
# 2

posted

posted
Thanks for the Email Joe ,however this one looks a little macabre for me. If you are insinuating that I should bury the movement in this casket however you are wrong. IT LIVES EGOR!! A few bushings and a new escape wheel and it tics away. Am almost finished building a copy of an early English country style case for it. Mike

posted
you know however the dial would look pretty neat in that case!