• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Iron front clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This is a US Clock Company Iron front 8 day shelf clock with fighting dog and gamecock motiff. Signed dial with what appears to be an original finish.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
American Clock Company 8 day Iron front with a hunting theme.

posted
Fairly common 8 day Bristol Brass and Clock Company Iron front.

posted
Beautiful clock Derek,but I was just curious,How much would you estimate that particular clock weighs?From the description it sounds like it has a bit of heft to it.
As I stated,just curious.
Sincerely,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Bob, that is an interesting question. I have added an image of one of the clock posted and it is a fairly common representation of the back of these types of clocks. I'm not sure the weight of these clocks, probably 3 to 8 pounds depending on the case size. You wouldn't want one to fall from a shelf and hit you, I do know that.

The movement, gong and labels are normally housed in a simple pine box that is attached to the cast iron front by 3 to 4 screws placed thru tabs cast into the back of the front plate. The front iron clock face can be cast from an ornate mold or something simpler.

Some of our more knowledgeable experts may be able to shed some light on why this clock came into style and then disappeared? I believe that this style clock was in vogue for only a short period of time, 10 years or less.

posted
Front of a miniature iron front.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Beautiful iron fronts Derek! I love the animal scenes. That mother of pearl touch was pretty common on the iron fronts. I am not sure why. I have a couple of iron fronts, but on their best days they can barely remember being in that good condition!

Great post. Let's see some more!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks for posting these clocks Derek.I too like the animal , and hunting scenes on them.
Thanks for sharing your clocks.
Smile

posted
May not be everyone's cup of tea but I recently picked up another painted iron front and thought I would post a picture. It is a Bristol Brass eight day time and strike. There's been a little paint touch up here and there but not much. Overall a pretty nice example of this type of clock.

Derek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Derek,
You have some GREAT iron fronts. I have a couple, but they can't stand the light of day next to yours.
Glad you posted them!

Who else has some iron fronts to post?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Bronze colored iron front by "Terhune and Edwards" New York City.Woman at Water Well

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
posted
Jack, very nice iron front. The high relief casting on some of the iron fronts make for very attactive clocks. Thanks for sharing the image.

Derek

posted
Here is another "Iron Front" I own. I am seeking some info on this one. It stands 22" tall and has an unsigned eight day movement, the clock contains a Bradley and Hubbard label. This clock is shown in Brooks Palmers "Treasury of American Clocks".Looking at the upper right and left portions of the clock figures of a man and woman can be seen. On the left side they are embracing and on the right they seem to be parting company. I am looking for the possible name of this clock or if any one can attach some significense to the figures.

Posts: 25 | Location: Centereach, New York, USA | Registered: May 18, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Derek,
In respone to your April 11th post.... (It takes me awhile to think about things.....)I think that cast iron and other metals was "the thing" at that time. Toys, banks and just about everything was being made in cast iron. I would consider it a "fahion fad" clock, kind of like the starburst of the 70s. Big Grin

Tom

posted
These are all interesting clocks, thanks for sharing. Wink

posted
Small 30 hr Kroeber iron front with interesting stenciling and small painted protraits.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very nice Derek. The Egyptian influence in styling was popular and used by many makers at the turn of the century.

Tom

posted
Ansonia Brass & Battery Company "Pewter" iron front with 8 day movement. You see these around but I thought it might be of interest with the brass advertising label still attached.

posted
Advertising labels says:

Ansonia Brass & Battery Co. Manufacturers of sheet brass & copper rivets, brass - kettles - tubing, lamp burners, brass clocks & c&c, 19 & 21 Cliff Street, New York

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have never seen the brass labels/tags. Thanks for showing it.

Tom

posted
Waterbury 30hr ironfront. Common case style but the painting & colors were well preserved for this age clock.

Derek

posted
Hi Derek and all:

I recently purchased this clock with 3 sides of iron and the back of wood. It is an Ansonia with open escapement. I believe the case is by Muller as I have also seen American Clock Co. and Kroeber clocks using the same case. It is called Lady and Child or French #111. My question:
Is this considered an ironfront even though three sides are iron?

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Beautiful clock. I believe that is a step above the iron fronts. Even with the wood back, I would think that would be considered a cast iron clock. Love the visible escapement. Do you know who made the movement?

Tom

posted
Thanks, Tom:

The movement is Ansonia Clock Co. patented June 14, 81 New York. Didn't know anything about that type of clock but thought it looked pretty good.
Also bought a Sessions calendar regular--both for $275 at a local estate sale.
Will attach the Sessions photo also.

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Two very nice clocks Pattye. (Good prices also.) It was interesting to see the slight variations on the case in the Kroeber and Ansonia books. Neither identical to yours. Obviously made by the same casemaker. Maybe someone has one of the other variations.

Tom

posted
Tom:
The 1984 Price Guide to Antique Clocks by Ehrhard
shows a Mueller model called "French" which is also very similar.
They are, indeed, interesting.
Pattye

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here are pictues of two variations.

The first is from Tran's Kroeber book.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The second is from Tran's Ansonia book.

Tom