Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Waterbury 40 Calendar value? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Any guestimates on the value of a Waterbury #40 Calendar clock? It is unrestored, may be mostly complete but needs refinishing. Dials are worn a lot, paper lable on back is tattered. Missing a round back cover behind the movement. Need to know asap, local auction in the morning.

A restored one is on Ruby Lane now, is that a correct price for a restored one?

Andy Confused

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Andy, Tran's book has them listed at $950 but my update is 2000. I'm not sure there is a newer one or not. It looks like they made them in oak, walnut and cherry. You see people asking around $800-$1000 for 44's, but haven't seen too many 40's for sale but one would assume the 40 would bring a little more. Maybe some of our more esteemed contributors will be able to shed more light on your request. Not sure if this has been much help.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Derek,
I don't have the guide books so your information is very helpful. I am pretty sure it is oak. At least now I know the ballpark. Wink

Does it list the approximate dates these were made? I notice it has more trim on the sides (near the top) than the one on Ruby Lane has. It looks like the piece at the bottom side.

It looks like it is straight from the barn or attic. My kind of junque. Cool

Andy

posted
Andy,

The date in the book says 1891 but I'm not sure how that is used. I'm not sure if that was the first year available or just the catalog year and maybe they were produced earlier? The side trim on the doors appear to be some type of split spiral turnings on the 40s where the 42s & the 44s were made as simpler moldings.

Waterbury Model 40

The Rubylane clock does not have the little bull’s eye medallions like the book shows, but who knows; maybe they changed them from year to year. Andy, you are right, the Rubylane clock is missing the case side moldings/carvings, left & right of the upper dial. The lower ones either side of the calendar dial are present.

Personally, I think I like the 40 model better that the 42s & 44s. I like the spiral door turnings and the top cornice finials. Good luck with the auction and post a picture if you buy it.

Derek

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
2001 price guide shows it at $1,100. That would be in outstanding condition.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Dern it. I bid $100 more than I wanted to go, and it still went higher. I was the second highest bidder if that counts any.

Andy Eek

posted
Andy, Just being a little nosey, but what did it bring? You said something about the rear round door missing, but did it have everything else? Did it have all it moldings, etc.

Derek

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Derek,
It was the Cherry wood case, I think. There was one small button like moulding at the top front that I didn't find. The top trim was a little different than the one on Ruby Lane, it had one larger button in the center and a smaller one on each side of center. I think all the other trim was there but some was off. The pendulum might not have been original. It was nickel plated and had an embossed design of a person, (a scene with a person in it maybe). The dials had some paint scratched off in a lot of areas, and there was fresh white paint dabbed on the bottom one a little. There were two labels on the back, the one saying it was a model 40 had a lot of damage, the larger one with directions was mostly there. I think the back piece that was missing was wood, about 3" diameter. The calendar looked complete but I didn't try anything to see if it worked. It didn't have an alarm. So many people were looking at it but only 3 of us bid. Sold for $600.

Andy

posted
Thanks Andy, a lot of times you bid on these auctions and unless you can take a dial off and do a close inspection or know (and trust) the person selling it, it is best not to get too crazy in bidding on a clock. Personally, I've been burned more than once on these types of things. Thanks again for the information.

Derek