Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

DOESN'T LOOK MUCH. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, It didn't look much at first glance, Brought in for a service, You know how it goes," ITS ONLY OVERWOUND". I was pleasantly suprised to find Made in ENGLAND on the back plate and GARRARD The Royal Jeweller also Patent No's. Cleaned, oiled, new suspension spring and it lives again. Original Key marked with makers name. I guess late 30s or maybe early post War. It was a long way out of beat and not worn at all, I'll bet it didn't hardly get used. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Rear View,

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Nice to hve Original Key,

posted
Thanks for sharing Ged.Neat clock.I really like the look of the case and movement.
It reminds me alot of my Smiths with westminster chimes.
Great pics. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great clock Ged! And good work getting it up and running again. Garrard, you mentioned as being the royal jeweler. Do you think he made this clock, or as Kevin noted it is very muck like the Smiths clock, and could have been made my Smiths and imprinted with Garrard as is the case for major jewelers and department stores here?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I think I have seen clocks made by Enfield that look like this. Do you know if there is any connection?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, I am with you on this, the maker could be Smiths . Although usually if the Store or Jeweller put their name on other maker's clocks its generally only on the face by way of a small added plate or engraving. I have 3 such clocks. I suppose I should note the Patent nos on the back plate and try and find out who they were allocated to and that would answer the question, I may just do that. Kevin, are there any Patent nos on your clock?. Regards to all, Ged.

posted
Hi Ged,
I will look on my Smiths clock for patent numbers and i have a Enfield which i will look for patent numbers also.
Wink

IHC Member 56
Picture of Victor Tang
posted
Garrard Clocks Limited manufactured clocks between 1931 and 1954. History of Garrard & Co.

Posts: 29 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Thanks Victor, So it seems my repair Clock is by Garrard, The Key does have "Swindon" stamped on it under the word Garrard. I'm pleased with this information, Its a poor old day when you don't learn something new. Regards ,Ged.

posted
Ged, i just looked on my Smiths clock no patent number.Name on back plate is Smiths English Clocks Ltd.
I found a great site for lots of information and pictures on Smiths clocks.
The adress is WWW.clock-museum.co.uk
I found out my clock was made 1955 only and the model name is Appleby.
Smile
Also Enfield was asimulated by Smiths, so that explains the similarities between the two.