WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

German Cuckoo/Musical clock (Final Chapter of this Saga) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
Hi all, I picked up a Cuckoo Clock at a sale today and know nothing about it. It has a couple dancers and is supposed to play music. I thought someone here would know what it is and approx value. It is not apparently running. The case looks to be in good condition, and the documentation indicates a 1984 original sale date.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
The movement

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Musical player

IHC Member 1016
posted
Bellows

IHC Member 1016
posted
There is another carved piece that I didn't photo, the weights are here and appears to be complete.
If it doesn't run are movement replacements reasonable?
I would probably sell it as is but have no idea as to value.
Comments, suggestions etc. happily sought. Big Grin

Picture of Peter Kaszubski
posted
Mike you can get new movement for around $80 in AZ ther is a store that sale the movements.

Posts: 4395 | Location: Arizona in the USA | Registered: July 23, 2011
IHC Member 1016
posted
That would be cheaper than service by a competent clockmaker! I found these for sale in Germany for around $700 US for the complete clock. If there is a correct movement available for $80 that might be a plan.

posted
Mike check it out they have all parts for cuckoo clocks
http://timesavers.com/search.html?q=clock+movement

posted
Hi Mike

The clock looks like unused, it is unlikely that the movement is non running. When you are unfamiliar with this kind of 'clocks' Big Grin you could mess up more then make better trying to install a new movement. Value for new 1- day clocks start at $ 500 for a new clock and is reasonable higher for 8 - day clocks.

Regards
Gerald

Posts: 742 | Location: Wertheim in Germany | Registered: February 21, 2009
IHC Member 1016
posted
I think it is more complicated than I thought. I did set the clock on a wall and the chains are around the pulleys, the pendulum swings freely and the weights are in place. It does not run but I think it is probably lubrication. It really does look to be very clean so it may be old sticky oil. The original sale was in 1984 and I imagine that was the last time this saw a clockmaker.

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
More movements here, Mike. http://blackforestimports.com/...BCatPage=&FromPage=1

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Thanks Bill, I'm still investigating this thing. I'm wondering if the weights are incorrect. On one webbsite it says for musical clocks they should be 1500 grams. This one has 3each 1260 grams. I did talk with the lady who originally owned it and they didn't change anything. She said they ran it for about a year and then put it in a box until now. Likely the oil is solidified and that may be all that's wrong?

IHC Member 1016
posted
After talking with several clockmakers and some collectors I decided to try simply oiling it. After all, if it were run 30 years ago, for 1 year, then packed away, dry pivots sounds like the correct diagnosis. I did oil the pivots, hung it back up and off she went like nobodies business. Keeps good time, has been running 3 or 4 days and it seems all OK.

posted
great news Mike.
Very nice clock btw