• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question of the Week #4 "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Please do not post the answer. I will do so next Sunday.
You go into a museum and see a late 17th century clock that has an odd figure on the chapter ring. The Roman numeral IV instead of the usual IIII.
The question: What else would you expect to be different about this clock?
I'll tell you Sunday,
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Answer to this question.
If the clock you were looking at was made by John or Joseph Knibb or Daniel Quare it is likely to have Roman Striking. This system, attributed to Joseph Knibb, was devised to reduce the number of strokes required to strike the hours and half hours. Twelve hours required only 30 blows with this system as opposed to 78 blows using common system.
The first use of Roman Striking was about 1685 and the last known use was about 1710. The latter was in a clock by Quare.
During the period of use the brothers Knibb were making one month and three month duration tall clocks so it is easy to see the advantage of using a system with greatly reduced strokes.
Below is the sequence of the bells. The small dot is the I's and the large dot represents V,s.
Hope I am not boring the everyone with this series.
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
posted
Here is a picture of the hood and dial of Joseph Knibb, month running long case clock showing the IV on the chapter ring.
The references for this question and answer was found in 'In Quest of Clocks' by Kenneth Ullett published by Spring Books.
Joe

posted
Thanks Joseph for the answer.Interesting posts.
keep the questions coming. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Verey interesting Joseph. I had heard of Roman Strike, but had not seen the explanataion.

Your posts are interesting and very appreciated.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002