Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Help with ID? "Swinden & Sons" on dial "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Mark Clark
posted
I have little knowledge of Clocks, I have collected Pocket Watches for several years, but have lived with clocks all my life. Being an Air Force brat and had lived in Europe, my parents bought literally hundreds of clocks. I have several GrandFather clocks, Wall clocks, and French clocks. Still, I have little knowledge of them...
The one in the photo I just inherited as my Father had passed away and my stepmother finally allowed my brother and I to receive some of his estate.
I am starting with this one, it has been the hardest to find info on.

Any and all help is appreciated. It works, but is in need of a serious cleaning.

"Happy New Year" to the group.. Be safe and best wishes of a grand year for all!

Kindly,
Mark Clark

Gimparoo

Wall Clock

Posts: 404 | Location: Austin, Texas USA | Registered: October 01, 2013
IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
Can you post a closer pic of the dial?

That logo under Swinden & Sons strikes a familiar note.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
Picture of Mark Clark
posted
Thanks for the help...

Gimparoo

IHC Member 1902
posted
Mark, not sure if you know but this is an English clock.

An internet search brings up quite a few Swinden & Sons Clocks for sale.

Temple Street, Birmingham is just a few miles from where I live.

I spent years working in Birmingham.

Mike

Posts: 575 | Location: Walsall in the United Kingdom | Registered: December 19, 2013
IHC Member 1541
posted
Is this the same one?

If so it is Seth Thomas.

If not, what are those 2 letters or whatever they are?

IHC Member 1892
posted
Hi Mark, Lorne and Mike: I too have been watching this clock to see what it is. I agree with Lorne that the emblem on the dial is very much like the Seth Thomas logo, however I cannot make out the letters. I know ST shipped movements to England which were in turn fitted in English made cases (I have one hanging on my wall). The dial looks to be in the same style as ST made as well.
However if it is ST I cannot think of what movement is in it. It would have to be an 8 day spring clock with bell and gong strike but have a seconds bit below the 12. I am by no means any kind of expert on ST but I don't know what movement this would be if a ST.
Mark: Any chance you could give us the measurements of. A) dial. B) distance from center arbour to seconds arbour C) length of pendulum. D) height of case.
We probably won't know until the dial is off and we can see the movement.
Sure is fun though!!

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
IHC Member 1892
posted
Update. After doing a little more looking I found this clock P 65 of Seth Thomas Clocks and Movements by Tran Duy Ly,
It is Called the Queen Anne. It has a 8 day, spring, strike,cathedral bell, Case was made in Walnut, Ebony, Oak and cherry. This would be a USA clock that found its way to Birmingham where the Swindon and Sons name was added. Somehow found its way home again. NOW big mystery is what kind of wood is that case? I can't imagine a solid Ebony case but I have a ST with walnut veneer that has the original black paint on it. Let us know Mark and forget all those measurements. I would sure like to have it but the shipping to here would be as much as the clock Smile

Posts: 361 | Location: Kincardine, Ontario in Canada | Registered: November 25, 2013
Picture of Mark Clark
posted
In my first posting, I mentioned I was an Air Force brat.. In fact we lived in Fordam, England for 6 years. My Father was a Test Pilot out of Mildenhall Air Force Base for F-100's going to Vietnam. This is where my parents picked up hundreds of various styles of clocks, and many other English/European antiques, and my Mother spent allot of hours doing Brass Rubbings.

The dial has the same emblem as Lorne shows in his posting. On the measurements, give me a day or two and I will get them. But, I believe with your input, it is a ST made, then to Birmingham, where Swinden & Sons recased the clock. I can not tell what type of wood, it has been painted black probably before we bought it back in the early 1960's. It does work, though missing the seconds hand that should be below the 12 hour. I have he original key, the pendulum, and the works look all intact and original.

Hope this makes sense.. and thanks again for the help.

Regards,
Mark Clark

Gimparoo

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
American mass production put the english and European clock makers almost out of business,and in the latter years of the demise American Clocks were outselling all European clocks. Looks like a Seth Thomas to me sold by Swinden and Sons !!!

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 1541
posted
There thirteen Queen Anne images on this site made from 1880 to 1902.

Seth Thomas Antique Clocks

EDIT: I changed the link to open to the one with the ebonized black finish.

IHC Member 1892
posted
Mark: Word of caution. I had a look through the thirteen Queen Anne's that Lorne had found in the internet. One of those clocks had "the original ebonized Black finish" on it. I would suggest you make sure that is not what you have with your clock. As I mentioned I have a ST with that finish and when refurbished it is a beautiful case. I suspect that many of this original finish has been lost as people strip it off not realizing it is the original. Note the number of "refinished cases" in that list of thirteen that Lorne found compared to the one "Ebonized. If you are into the Original restoration I would hate to see it stripped thinking it was an aftermarket paint job. Let us know what you find.
BTW, I used a clear Briwax on mine. Can't remember if I used 0000 steel wool or a cotton towel when applying the wax but you can't get too aggressive on the original finish. Let us know

IHC Member 1736
posted
Nice clock, beautiful colors.

Posts: 2032 | Location: San Diego, California in the USA | Registered: August 30, 2012
Picture of Mark Clark
posted
Well the clock is identical to the one on the site Lorne provided! Exactly!! I had originally planned to just clean it up and leave it as is for now. Later down the road as I have time and now that I have the best info (thanks to all of you) I will restore it back to its original luster. I will need a second hand for it, but the rest will be just good restoration work.

Thank you so much for all the effort and help all of you guys have provided, I can now do a correct restoration... and I now know what it is and about what age it is!! Very much appreciated!!
You guys are the best.

Regards,
Mark

Gimparoo