• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Hamilton Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I picked up a Hamilton mantle clock at a garage sale recently. The clock was given to a retiree of the Goodyear Tire and rubber Company in 1989. It has a plaque glued to the top of it with the guy's name on it. Does the plaque decrease the value of the clock? Thanks

Posts: 160 | Location: Hartville, Ohio in the USA | Registered: August 18, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
That is personal opinion. In general, unless the person on the plaque is someone of historical note, then it tends to decrease the value in most minds. There are those that cross collect. So someone collecting automotive related items may find it more valuable.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank oyu for the reply. To my knowledge, the person is not famous. What is the best way to take the plaque off? Hair dryer?

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I think for a very old clock, it may help the value, not hurt it. I have a clock from the 1980s that has a date on a placque, and I want to leave it on to know the date. If it was an Atmos, it would hurt the value.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is sort of similar to the discussion about initials engraved on watch cases. Some like the historical documentation that it represents, and others prefer to have it pristine.

I have a watch that was my fathers and has his initials on the case and and inscription on the inside. I think that adds value to the watch, for me. There have been some interesting searches for historical references on names found in watch cases. A search of the pocket watch section will reveal some interesting findings.

However, most of the placques on clocks are more modern and (for this generation) are current rather than "ancient history". 100 years from now, it may be very interesting to see an old name and date reference on a clock.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Mark,I certainly don't mean to diminish the value of your newly obtained clock but those Hamilton presentation clocks are pretty common.Everytime I go to Renninger's or any of the larger flea markets in the S.E. Pennsylvania area I run into four or five of them.They're very attractive clocks and normally have a Hermle 340-020 movement made for Hamilton in them.Personally I've found the Hamilton Hermles to be of a lower quality than the standard Hermle 340-020s.I base that on repairing a half dozen or so.I normally replace the existing movement with a new 340-020.As far as the plaque goes,personally I'd leave it on there.I think it adds to the provenance of the clock and I believe it gives your clock a personality of its own.
Congratulations on your purchase,they're great looking mantel clocks and I hope you will enjoy it in the years to come.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Mark, I agree with Bob's thoughts on this topic. Also, ever go to the beach with a band-aid on your arm, then take it off when you get back home?

Posts: 152 | Location: Telford, Pennsylvania USA | Registered: May 21, 2005
posted
Thanks. I think I will leave it on. Just part of the character and history of the clock.