Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Question about a 400-Day clock "Click" to Login or Register 
<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hello,
I would like to know your opinion about the 400 days clock in the picture.
It is high about 16"; I think it is french and made in the XIXth century: is it so or is it from Germany or Austria and is its age more recent?
I would like to know also if this 400 days clock is a rare model and, if it is possible, how much is worth.
Thanks a lot for your help and best regards,
Luciano

P.S.
I will publish two reply to add two other pictures.

<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hello,
here is another picture.
Regards,
Luciano

<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hello,
here is the last picture.
Regards,
Luciano

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi Luciano,
This is called the "Louvre" style I think, the large dome and extra columns with the cap. It is larger than the average anniversary clocks. Your clock was made in Germany probably between 1910 and early 1930s. I don't have my Horolovar guide with me, but somebody here will probably be able to identify the maker by looking at the back plate. The dome that size is hard to find, and expensive to replace. I believe your clock may be in the $250 US range.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
This must be a clock from "Würthner".

Holger

Posts: 16 | Location: Augsburg, Germany | Registered: May 24, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I have been looking through the 4oo Day book by Horolovar and there are several pictues of clocks similar to yours, but they seem to have round plates.

I am still looking.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hi Luciano,
Are there any markings other than the serial number on the backplate?
Even a single letter or trademark would be very helpful. Most 400 day clocks are identified and dated by the information on and/or the layout of the backplate.

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
I forgot to bring my book again, but I would guess it was made by Jahresurenfabric (Schatz) or Kieninger und Obergfell (KundO). By looking at that serial number, is is possible to get a close date to when it was made. In Chapter 168, they have some serial numbers listed, if I can find it in their newsletters "the Torsion Times", to get a close date of when it was made. I believe Wurthner was a distributer only, and bought their clocks from other manufacturerers, in the 1950s and 1960s. This style (Louvre) of clock case was made for a very long time (up into the 1960s), but since your's has a serial number, I would say it dates to the 1930s and older. I think most companies stopped putting a serial number on them in the 1930s.

Andy

<Luciano Valle>
posted
Hi Andy, Holger, Tom and Joe,
thanks a lot for your studies about this clock.
I think there is only the serial number, I do not see any other sign, mark or letter.
Have a nice weekend and best wishes for catching some great clock and/or watch ;-)
Luciano

posted
I dont know if Würthner only was a distributer.
I have made a scan from the Flume book were i found the movement that possibly fits best to Luciano`s clock.
A Juba could also be possible.
Regards
Holger

Flume System 4 PageII-200/2002

Posts: 16 | Location: Augsburg, Germany | Registered: May 24, 2005
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
OK, I went home to get my book. If you have the Horolovar guide, look at backplate # 1388A and tell me if you think this is it (not exact but very close, one screw hole difference). Notice the little screw on the click spring, so it has a threaded hole for it at the bottom left of center. I think only Kundo had that setup. The book shows this as Kieninger & Obergfell c. 1935, and it has a serial number. These dates are only approximate. I haven't gone through the Torsion Times back issues to see if I could find an approximate date with that serial number.

Holger, you are right that Wurthner did make 400 day clocks. They are ones I have not found. I didn't remember them in the book until I looked them up. According to the Horolovar guide, Wurthner made 400 day clocks from 1951 to 1957 only.

Andy

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Backplate #1559 is even a closer match, made by Kieninger & Obergfell c. 1912, for The National Silver Co. Notice the little threaded hole for the click spring. This one also has both threaded holes for the guard like in Luciano's pictures.

See also #1529 K&O c. 1912. Same layout.

Andy

posted
I believe #1557 is a better match. If you place a straight edge across the bottom of the peep holes the pivot hole is still completely visabile as it is on Luciano's. On #1529 the straight edge, placed in the same location, will bisect the pivot hole.
That was good detective work Andy!

Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Joe,

My book doesn't have a #1557 in it. Big Grin

I don't think the drawings are 100% accurate on any of them, more or less sketches. I noticed when I looked at the two little holes for the click spring, he has some shown with the left hole threaded, and some have the right hole threaded.

Andy

posted
Hey Andy,
I goofed. I should have said #1559. I am a one finger typist and sometimes that one wanders.
Joe