Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Unusual SB Terry movement? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
This is on ebay, and I don't think I have seen anything like it before. It is a SB Terry steeple clock with a 30 hour movement. It only has one spring, but it strikes the hour. Was this common for SB Terry, or something they just tried? I think there is also Boston Clock Co, and others that used one arbor but had 2 springs. I have a clock from the 1980s that has one spring but also strikes the hours.

Ebay link.

Andy

S B Terry time and strike one spring

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Here is the picture of the 1980s clock I have and description from this message.
quote:
Benchmark crystal regulator, made in the 1980s. Movement is marked "Fabric SSS Marke, 4 jewels unadjusted, W & A Schmid Schlinker Jr, Germany, 2/14". This has an unusual movement in that there is only one winder, but it does strike (count) the hours and once on the half. This company supplies clocks for Insurance companies, as I saw a new quartz one recently in an insurance sales office.

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Very interesting Terry movement. I cannot find anything about it in the books I have. It must not have been a very successful design, as it was not continued or copied by others.

I would love some better pictures of the movement. I don't see a countwheel or rack and snail for keeping track of the hours.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom and Andy,

the count wheel is tucked behind the left hand side strike gear below the strike side fly. The image is not a very good angle to see this movement.

I checked with a well versed collector about this clock and was told that a similar clock with the same movement sold at Cottone's last year. It is a rare clock.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Derek,

Thanks for the information. It is a great collector's piece. I love the unusual.

The thrifty Yankee craftsman was always looking for ways to economize. Running two trains off one spring just had to be tried. I believe it was Sessions that tried a two spring Westminster chime movement.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Here is a Eli Terry Jr. empire with SB Terry's horseshoe movment. Anyone else got a SB Terry they would like to post a picture of? I for one would love to see any clocks you have. SB Terry designed and made several different movements and clocks.

Derek

posted
Here is an image of the movement.