Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Banjo Wall Clock info? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Stephanie O'Neil
posted
I saw a Banjo Wall Clock today, circa 1920-1930 for sale, asking price - $460. Do we have any Banjo Wall Clock collectors out there, and if so, would you like to contribute information to our site regarding these particular wall clocks? Confused Do you think $460. was a good price? Confused It appeared in good condition as far as I could tell. I would evidently like to purchase one but would like to know what to look for in a Banjo Wall Clock. Confused

Suggestions, opinions, info? Confused

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Posts: 1419 | Location: New Orleans, Louisiana USA | Registered: April 01, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Hi Steph! Sorry I didn't get to this sooner. We were out of town and just hit the door.

Banjo clocks aregreat items to collect. The old, original banjos by Willard would be an example of the higher end of the spectrum.

A general description of banjos from which there are countless variations is: a round top piece, a trapezoid throat with a decorated glass and a rectangular bottoom section, also with a decorated glass. They were weight driven and of high quality.

The banjo style remained popular enough for some makers to continue the style up to today. In the 20s - 30s one maker (I want to say Sessions but I am not sure - I will look it up later) made a series of "banjo" clocks with a variety of crackle painted finishes. This was just a block of wood cut out in a banjo shape, with an "alarm clock" mechanism fitted to the hole drilled in the top.

Seth Thomas made a very popular banjo in spring and electric version. It has a beige and gold design glass in the throat and in the lower glass.

More info on the one you are asking about would be necessary to give a $ guestimate.

Time to unpack the suitecase and take a calmer look at what treasures I picked up in Strongsville. Very good show!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Tom S.,
Welcome back! Sounds like you had a good time and lots of goodies brought back with you.

Unfortunately that's about all I know regarding the banjo clock I saw this past Sunday. I would like to purchase an antique banjo clock someday. You say there are countless variations. I suppose I'll know when the right one comes along. I like the hand-painted glass. I was just wondering what to look for when purchasing or hunting down an antique hand-painted banjo clock.
I suppose its a personal preference as well.

Any more suggestions?

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Stephanie,
Banjo clocks can range greatly in price and style. I will try to posst some pictures of some of the different styles. Maybe someone on the site has some examples from their own collection they can share. The pictures I post will not be from my collection.

These are top of the line Willards. The picture us from the book: Simon Willard and his Clocks by John Ware Willard, Dover Publications, Inc.

If you can find one, and it is not a reproduction, the price will be in the several thousands.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

[This message was edited by Tom Seymour on November 11, 2003 at 20:54.]

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here are some very nice Ansonia banjos. the real beauty of these is in the glass. A friend on mine had one and the drawings do not do them justice.

The picture is from Tran's book on Ansonia Clocks.

The priceguide puts these at:
96: w/orig glass - $1,900.00
w/replacement glass - $900.00

97: w/orig glass - $1,250.00
w/replacement glass - $550.00

98: w/orig glass - $2,400.00
w/replacement glass - $1,300.00

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
These are also Ansonia banjos.

The picture is from Tran's book on Ansonia Clocks.

The priceguide places them at:

99: w/orig glass - $550.00
w/replacement glass - $450.00

100: $200.00

101: $225.00

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here are some from Tran's New Haven book. This will give you an idea of the variations of styles.

The prices of these vary from $165 to $200.00, with the exception of #213 which is a 30 day and priced at $950.00

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Stephanie,
Here are the banjos with the crackle finish, in your choice of green or blue. They are by Waterbury.

The picture is from Tran's Waterbury book.

One of the Chapter 6 activities that I participated in several years ago was to go through Meadowbrook Hall (the mansion that belonged to the Dodge family) and get information on the clocks there, and to put them in working order. I had expected a lot of fancy clocks, and indeed there were some. but among them, in the bedroom of one of the Dodge boys, was a green crackle banjo like the one in the picture. It is not really a very sophisticated clock for such an elegant home. but then, I suppose something more rugged was desired in a boys bedroom.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
Seth Thomas Electric Banjo Clock.

Banjo Clock

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
I have this clock. The book is way off on price. If one comes on the market, and they do once a year or so, expect to pay $4-5K for one.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne, Thanks for the pict. They sure do look better in color. That a nice one!

Steve,
Could you post a picture of yours? I know what they look like and it is a whole lot better than in the catalogue drawing. I think the members would appreciate a photo of the real thing.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Gilbert 8 Day Movement Banjo Clock 3/4 size - top removed for storage.

Gilbert Banjo

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
Picture of Jack Davis
posted
New Haven 8 Day. The best way I have found to buy clocks at somewhat more affordable prices is at local auctions. I picked this up for $50.

Jack

Posts: 208 | Location: Elgin, Illinois USA | Registered: November 30, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted
Jack,

I never get deals like that. Frown

You are hereby appointed Official Clock Buyer and you can pick one up for me anytime! Smile

How about it everyone? Big Grin

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
One of the nicest one's I have seen is on display at the Charles River Museum of Industry - it was restored by a Chapter 8 member.

Waltham Banjo

posted
There is a nice article on banjo clocks titled "A Study of Half and Thre-Quarter-Size Willard Clocks from the Walthan Watch Co." in the October 2003 issue of the Bulletin. The author says this is the second article he has written on Waltham banjo clocks, the first article was featured in the April 2003 Bulletin.

I have also been looking to buy a banjo clock, but realized there is lot for me to learn about them before I can make an educated choice.

Richard K. Reise

Posts: 26 | Location: Gaithersburg, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: October 08, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Wayne, that 1/2 size Waltham is stunning!! Fabulous - thanks for posting the picture!

Rich, thanks for the reminder about the Bulletin articles. soometimes we forget the most obvious sources.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Thanks to Dennis, one of our members, he posted an auction site (Marquis Auctions) with items up for sale Saturday, November 15th.

Thought I would post a pic of a Banjo clock up for bid. Can anyone provide info. on this particular one?

Trouble is you have to be in Earlville, N. Y. to bid on this one! Shucks.

Stephanie O'Neil
NAWCC Member 143979

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Stephanie,
This is the Seth Thomas "Crandal". It is an 8 day pendulum movement (120). Hour and half hour strike.

The catalogue description reads:

reflects the warmth, character and charm invariably associated with Early American Architecture. Mohagony case with george washington - Mount Vernon panels in full color. Polished brass ornaments. 5 1/8 in. silverplated dial. Height 28 3/4 inches. Width 9 3/4 inches. Thickness 3 3/4 inches. Shipping weight 11 lbs.

It is shown in the 1928 - 1929 catalogue.

I don't have a good feel for the price. the old book I have says $175.00, but I'm sure that is low now.

I sure would like to be at that auction!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC# 104
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
I know this is near sacrilege, but S. LaRose has some Banjo clocks with 31-day movements that don't look all that bad. Merritt's may also have them. I once knew someone who removed the 31-day springs and replaced them with 8-day springs and apparently he was successful and the clocks ran well.

Posts: 676 | Location: Oak Ridge, Tennessee USA | Registered: December 08, 2002