Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Sir W. Congreve - rolling ball clock. "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Rich De Young
posted
I am interested in one of these clocks for the right price. I found a couple on Ebay and a bunch on the internet. Can someone please help me on value and if these are good running clocks.

Rolling Ball clock

Thank You

Rich

Posts: 190 | Location: Upstate New York in the USA | Registered: June 27, 2006
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello, I saw a really old one years ago when working in Anglesey Abbey for Lord Fairhaven. I was fascinated by the action of the clock. I was told by his Lordship it was a very poor timekeeper but a real conversation piece. I think I was in my early 20s and am now 70. I would like to own one still. Don't expect a good timekeeper, best of luck, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Jerry Treiman
posted
My neighbor has one. His, like most on the market, are recent reproductions. They can be a bear to keep running, let alone keeping time. But they are great conversation pieces and fun to watch. My neighbor is a mechanic and a machinist and he spent many hours tinkering and adjusting after I explained the mechanics of it to him. I think his averages out to a few minutes a week error, although there are variations during the week.

Posts: 1455 | Location: Los Angeles, California USA | Registered: January 14, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
There was one at Greenvield Village and in talking to people there they echoed the comments above. Not a good time keeper, but very interesting.

HERE is a link to a page on several types of rolling ball clocks including the Congreve.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002