Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

LUX Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
When I thought of Lux clocks, I usually pictured the little cuckoo shaped cases with the bobbing bird, or one of the other pendulettes. And there were, of course, the Shmoo clocks. I purchased the clock below becuase I liked it. Only recently did I find out it was a Lux. It is not marked anywhere on the case or dial, but I did find it in Tran's book.

Any other interesting Lux clocks out there?

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Even the back of the case has been decorated. You don't see that often.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nice example Tom. Tran's books are a treasure trove of info on things when you do some searching. I spend lots of time studying Tran's books looking at different venues of collecting I am not up on and file it in my memory back. This has paid off very well more than once.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
very nice Tom...have had a few Lux 'pieces cross my bench in the past but didn't manage to hang on to any of them...very collectible...and yours a very fine example...Jim C

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Thanks for the nice comments on the Lux. Here is the other Lux that I have, and is, what I thought, was more typical of Lux.

This one was in the box and had the dealer display stand. I did not assemble the display stand completely because it required punching out slots in the top of the box. It also had directions for pounding the nail into the wall - at the proper angle and how much to leave sticking out of the wall.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Picture 2

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Picture 3

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
While not a Lux fan, I found a rare one at a garage sale a while ago. It was in the shape of a courthouse w/iron weights cast in the shape of scrolled documents. My wife was horrified when I paid $35.00 for "such junk," but pleased as punch by the amount I sold it for a few days latter! Razz

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is another little Lux I came across today. It is only 6 inches long.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Hello,
Just wanted to see if anyone out there had seen one of these before. It is a Lux 30hr weight driven wall clock that strike on the hour. The bell in the tower moves back and forth and strikes the bell for the hour.
You can view this at
http://rubylane.com/shops/cathysclocks/item246

Posts: 3 | Location: Asheboro, North Carolina USA | Registered: April 25, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dennis,
That is a great one!!

The pendulum and weights are particularly interesting!

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Life Achievement
Military Expert
Picture of Greg Crockett
posted
Hi Dennis,

That looks like the one I wrote about in my December post, above. Are the weights in the shape of scrolls of paper?

Best regards,
Greg

Posts: 1991 | Location: East Lansing, Michigan USA | Registered: November 24, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Apparently Lux also made car clocks for Chevrolet back in the '40's. My son-in-law is working on a 48 Fleetmaster, and there's a Lux 8 day movement ticking away in the dash as we speak...original equipment too! They had their hands in just about everywhere, didn't they? Regards. Mark

NAWCC Member 157508
NAWCC-IHC Member 163

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is one more Lux I found in a box yesterday.

The dial says Hy Tone, but on the back of the clock it has the Lux name.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I just picked up this one at an estate sale. It is called "Fairview D-181". The date given in Tran's book is 1951.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
Here are a few Lux and Keebler clocks. I think the Shaggy house is one of the smallest they made, and I think it is kind of rare. Did I over pay for it? (50 cents) Big Grin The shelf cuckoo was a little more. ($7). Big Grin Big Grin

Which book by Tran shows the most of these? I was trying to find a book just on Lux and Keebler clocks. I think there was one in the 1970s, maybe the author's last name was Reynolds? Do you have the Woody Woodpecker on a horse?

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,

The book is American Clocks Volume 3 and was published in 2002. I think you did OK on your buying prices. The tree house in the first picture is valued at $150. The cottage with jagged edge and the Dutch cottage are each $125.

Woody Woodpecker on the horse is listed at $350.00. Do you have that one? That would be worth a picture here.

This is a great book to get for Lux clocks. The last 125 pages are devoted to Lux. There is also 10 pages on the Ball Watch Co. The other sections of the book are by case style, not manufacturer. They are: Beehive, Column & Cornice, Column & Splat, Cottage, Hollow Column, Mantel, Mirror, Ogee & Bevel, Pillar & Scroll, Steeple, Torsion Pendulum, Wagon Spring.

I think this is one of the best books yet. It covers areas that are just not in other books.

The new Seth thomas Volume1 is due to come out soon.

Tom

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Thanks Tom,

I don't know of any place I can just look at these books before I buy them, so I never know what is in them. Next time I order books, this one by Tran Duy Ly will be on the list. Tran was suppose to be doing a book just on torsion clocks, but it seems like it has put off for several years now. Maybe he put the pictures he had in this book? There was two articles in bulletins a few years ago on Lux and Keebler, but I have misplaced them. I have given up finding a copy of that older book on them.

Another Lux clock I have is the flower with a bee on the pendulum. It must be hiding with my bulletins somewhere. Roll Eyes I did see the Woody Woodpecker sell on ebay a few years ago. I thought they were worth a lot more than 350, though. Somewhere I read they were suppose to be very rare. I have several different Lux clocks that look like cuckoos, and some with the bulldog. A guy at a clock shop in IL has some unusual ones, one with elves, and one is a cat with a wagging tail, plus larger ones similar to the ones in the first picture in this topic. I also have a full size two weight powered Lux real cuckoo clock.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
The torsion portion of this book is from pg. 175 - 209.

It is tough to spend on books that you can't preview first. Tran was at the Ft. Mitchell meeting. He was taking pre-orders for the Seth Thomas book.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is another one to add to the Lux library. I got this one at an auction for $17. The original owner did not like the bobbing bird. They hid the bird, disconnected it from the mechanism and covered the opening with a piece of paper.

The bird bobs with the beat of the pendulum. It has an eight day movement and, after cleaning, is running quite well.

Tom

posted
Tom et al:
Just read this thread. It is fascinating!
Question for Tom. Could you briefly summarize the directions for mounting the little Lux cuckoo? You mentioned the angle of the nail and the distance from the wall. Sometimes the pendulums strike the wall. Would appreciate further information.
Regards
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
I think the following pictures (especially the third) will answer your question.

The last Lux posted showed a bigger clock than most of the Lux pendulettes you will see. The clearance for this one will be greater than the smaller one.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
A nail driven in at an angle will hold well. It needs to just go into the case.

The main problem comes in when the wall is not plumb. Most walls aren't. If it is far enough out of plumb to interfere with the running of the clock, the you must adjust so that the back of the clock is perpendicular to the floor, or so that is in line with a plumb line. (Floors aren't always level either Roll Eyes)

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
BUT - In the box of the Pendulette shown in one of the pictures above, are directions. One sheet answers your question.

So - direct from the factory.........

Tom

posted
Thanks, Tom
You always have such useful information. Keep up the good work!
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
After reading this thread, I decided to check on some little clocks I had. I researched the net and found a great site on Lux clocks. http://www.luxclocks.com by Dan & Diana Lockett. They have some great info on them, lots of pictures and old advertisements of all sorts. One of mine was pictured in an advertisement from 1940. It was described as a Boudoir or Desk clock. Tambour shaped with supporting arms on artistically designed base. Gilt finish 30 hour guaranteed movement with modern design silver metallic dial. The other was a animated bluebird with oak leaves pendulette circa:1934-1941. This one was manufactured by Westclox for August C. Keebler Co. Sadly neither is in very good shape, but still interesting.Lux sure made a variety of clocks including automobile clock.

Posts: 17 | Location: Liberty, Mississippi U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Marilyn,
Thanks for the great link to the Lux website. It has tons of pictures and information about Lux clocks.

If you are not aware of the scope of clocks produced by Lux, then you need to go to this website. Everything from the Shmoo to art noveau.

Tom

posted
Thanks for the link Marilyn.I have a Lux wall clock and a timer.The clock runs better than the timer does.
The clock i have is probaly late 1960,s, a guess.
Welcome to Ch 185, i don,t recall seeing many postings from you, so you must be new here.
Smile

posted
Hi, My Lux clock is a travel clock in a zip up leather case. It measures 4" square. It is time only, no alarm. Was given to me by a family friend about 10 years ago. I have no history on it.

Tom

posted
These Lux clocks were made near the 1920’s. When new, the clocks carried a label on the rear door for the warranty. I have seen some with 1919 dates. Unfortunately, the rear door from my case is missing as is the warranty label. The clock has a wooden “house.” The rest of the clock is made from the typical wood dust/glue mix that is molded. The deer head has glass eyes, which I find to be kind of eerie. The pendulum bob has a metal shaft and the bob is made of the molded material. The clock measures about 16 inches X 10 ½ inches. Most of this clock is original, although I think it may have gotten a paint job since new. The deer antlers have been replaced with modern plastic, as very few of the original antlers have survived. The clock has the original metal hands, weights, pendulum and metal bird. The movement is 30 hour and has a count wheel strike system, with the count wheel on the rear plate. Lux made two sizes of standard sized cuckoo clocks with this being the larger.

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Metal Bird

posted
Weights and pendulum

posted
Deer head