Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Beautiful Pinwheel "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This clock is in for repair in Norm's shop. I don't know what the case looks like, but the elegant simplicity of this clock is just outstanding.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The pinwheel escapement - beautiful in its simplicity.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Elegant dial with sweep second hand. Nice detail on the bezel.

Tom

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Is that called a "Grasshopper Escapement"?
Very elegant!

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hello Tom
It looks like the bob is hanging from 9 rods. Do you know if they are brass and steel, every other one? And they are round, not oval?

Regards
Gary

Posts: 141 | Location: Northwest Ohio in the USA | Registered: October 02, 2003
posted
That is called a Pinwheel escapement. If the pendulum rod is original, it will be alternating metals to comensate for the temperature change. I have never seen a pinwheel marked as to maker.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Here is another Pinwheel Escapement movement. A little dirty before cleaning. Looks to be a little more robust built.
Gary

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Greg, This is not the "grasshopper" escapement. I will post drawings of both. They do have some elements that look similar.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the Grasshopper Escapement.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Gary, It is an alternating brass and steel temperature compensating pendulum. The rods are round not oval.

Tom

Picture of Gary Morgret
posted
Hi Tom
I thought they looked brass and steel but wanted to know for sure. The picture I posted is out of a standing Waterbury Hall clock. This movement also has steel and brass rods but they are oval. I have been told Waterbury clocks are the only ones that have the oval rods. Have you ever heard the same?

Regards
Gary

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
example of the early comp. pend. note oval shape of rods

Posts: 287 | Location: Westlake, Ohio U.S.A. | Registered: January 11, 2004
Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
full pend. (circa 1790-1810)

Vienna Regulators
IHC Member 313
posted
Side of movement. Note shape of clock pillar.Pinwheel movement French 30 day.

posted
I am repairing a pinwheel clock that is almost identical to the one postec by Tom Seymore. Do you know its maker?

Phil Hannah

Posts: 1 | Location: Connecticut in the USA | Registered: April 26, 2008
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
Those are very nice and unique clocks. I really like the pin wheel escapement and the clock in Tom's posting is so nice and simple. That is the attraction to it for myself.

There are other movements that are quite complex and difficult to understand. How would you like to repair one of the difficult ones? But again the simplicity is just plain elegant.

These two clocks are great postings guys.

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005