Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Car Clocks/Desk Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Howdy All,

I have two car clocks that I know liitle about, but have had them for some time.

The first one is a Waltham 22S 9-day 9J watch/clock with a serial number of 32129081, adjusted, temp and 1 position. I could send pics if needed. It has leather carrying pouch, not in good shape but I believe it is original.

The second one is also a Waltham, 8 day, aproximately 22-24S. This appears to have been attached by a some sort of bracket, most likely on a dashboard of a car? the unique thing about this watch/clock is it has a wind indicator on the front that displays a silver dot then will change to orange when the power is used up.

Movement says Watham Watch Co. 8 Days, 15 jewels adjusted. Serial 20773833. That's all I know, can send pics as well if needed. I appreciate any insight.

Thanks, Brian

Posts: 130 | Location: Southern Mississippi in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
The first one is an "AIR" model, possibly made for aircraft use; the second is a "1910" model,size 37, and Waltham made a whole bunch of this type for various uses. They were used as dashboard clocks, travel clocks, telephone company timers, in tanks and aircraft, and even as marine chronometers. I'm not familiar with the first clock, but the 37s is built like a large pocketwatch with two mainsprings. They came with or without seconds chapters, with or without wind indicators, short and long winding stems most commonly at 6 o'clock. some wound at 12 o'clock, and some wound from the back!

I think there are as many variations with these as there are Illinois 12s Eek

Bob

Posts: 218 | Location: Oak Harbor, Washington in the USA | Registered: May 21, 2009
posted
Thanks Bob, I have seen them for sale but like you said there are many variations. I am not sure about the collectabilty, but I like all things when it comes to time.

Brian

Posts: 130 | Location: Southern Mississippi in the USA | Registered: February 25, 2007
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of John J. Flahive III
posted
Brian,

I have a number of these "car clocks" probably 10 or so. I don't think any of them are running and I don't know much about them. It would be nice to get some info on them, so I'll try to post some pictures and serial numbers by this weekend.

John III

Posts: 1755 | Location: Colorado in the USA | Registered: October 17, 2005