Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Nested Bells Sonora Chime Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is my most recent auction find. It is a 5 Bell Seth Thomas Sonora Chime. It is the Chime No.11. Built in 1911.

The Seth Thomas Sonora chime came in 4 bell, 5 bell, 8 bell, and chime rod versions.

The case on this one needs cleaning, as does the movement. But I thought I would post it now. If there is interest I can take more detailed photos when I have it on the bench.

I would like to see other examples of the Sonora Chime Clocks.

Seth Thomas Sonora

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the movement. The chime mechanism is separate and located behind the regular No.89 movement.
The chime spring is huge and generally comes with the advise to get a good life insurance policy before attempting to remove it. Roll Eyes

Tom

Seth Thomas Sonora mov.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
That is a beauty, Tom. Please post more photos as you have time. I'd like to see them! Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
Tom,
Great find!!! There's something about a Sonora Chime that sets it apart from the rest, especially when the bell count exceeds 4. Even with rods like mine has, the sound is fantastic.
That cavernous case seems to roll and enhance the
sound.

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here are the movements. The time and strike movement is separate from the sonora chime mechanism.

With the chime mechanism removed it is easier to see the nested bells and the main movement. Notice the huge mounting bracket used to hold the movement to the case.

Tom

Seth Thomas Sonora mov 2

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the front of the movement removed from the case. Quite a chunk of iron used to hold the movement in place.

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
This is the back side of the chiming mechanism.

Tom

posted
Here is another nice Sonara Chime clock, A model 58 which is a larger tambour clock 32" wide by 14" high

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
posted
Movement picture of nice Sonara Chime clock model 58.

William Mittelstadt
IHC Member 166

Posts: 94 | Location: Sheboygan, Wisconsin USA | Registered: August 24, 2003
IHC Member 155
Bulova Watchmaker

Picture of Rich Kuhn
posted
Big Grin I would call this a front seat face buy. This is the one clock I want to add to my collection. Great find Tom

Rich Kuhn
IHC Member 155

Posts: 896 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: December 16, 2002
posted
Some years back, after years of searching, I was fortunate enough to trade for an eight bell Sonora. I love that clock! The bells can be loud when they strike, so you have to get used to that. Here are some images.

eight bell Sonora

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
The Side View of the 8 Bell Sonora. The giveaway of the eight bell models are the two levers on the side, versus one lever for the lesser models.

\eight bell Sonora side

posted
The rear view showing the bells.

posted
Here is a rear shot, door open. The movements take up quite a bit of room.

posted
Here is a closer view of the Sonora chime movement.

posted
I have tried to load more images of the clock, but have hit a glitch. Even though I'm using the same size images (640 x 480) as the earlier images, the site tells me my images are too large, and exceed image sizes. I shrunk them to sizes much smaller, but get the same message.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Steve,
Nice clock! The eight bells must be great to hear.

I don't know the picture problem solution. When I have had problems it is because I forgot to put it in .jpg format. Hope you can get some more posted.

William, good luck getting you picture up also. The No. 58 is a real beauty!

Tom

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bill, if you email me the pictures, I will try to get them posted.

Tom

posted
I appreciate everyone's help in posting images. I still don't know what I was doing wrong. I seem to recall that a nine bell Sonora was on Ebay not too long ago. I'dlike to see better images of one of those. The eight bell is quite loud.

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Great pictures guys! Well worth the wait!!

These are indeed special clocks.

Tom

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello All, Nice Pic's of Chiming clocks. We over the Pond don't want to feel left out, Time permitting I will remove Movement of my English Triple Chain Fusee ,chiming on 8 bells and striking on a massive coil gong. Regards, Ged.

English Triple Chain Fusee 8 bells

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
GED,
Now THAT is a clock!!! Would appreciate picts from under the hood when you get a chance.

Thanks for posting that one.

Tom

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Very nice gentlemen! I've repaired a couple of these this past year(Seth Thomas) and what Tom said about the mainspring in the chime mechanism is totally correct! They are strong!!

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi Jim, The Wooden Spoon was not meant to be noticed in this thread, but as it's come up i'd better explain. I have a wicked sense of humour and sometimes it gets me into trouble. My best friends wife, now deceased(cancer), gave me the spoon as a xmas present, for mentioning that "they needed a porch over their door to keep the muddy boots in" To prevent the house getting the mud getting carried in. She had actually been on about it for a year or more. Anyway my friend Len Has forgiven me. I'm glad you like my Modest Clock. Regards, Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
What chime tune does the 8 bell sonora play?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
The 8 Bell Sonora plays both Whittington and Westminster chimes. You can set it for one or the other. Somehow mine alternates between the two chimes every hour. That's fine with me.

Picture of Ralph Rehner
posted
I've heard the "Oldtimers" in this area refer to the chime spring as "The Finger Eater".

Ralph Rehner, "The Clock Pup" and Longines Watch Guy

Posts: 89 | Location: Brunswick, Ohio USA | Registered: January 17, 2003
Picture of Jim McKinney
posted
Wink Ged - imho, the only thing "modest" about that clock is YOU! Big Grin

btw, just to be sure - that's meant as a double compliment - to you as well as the clock . . . experience has taught me that all too often something gets lost in the translation somewhere along the way as it crosses the Big Pond - Wink Razz

Posts: 231 | Location: Northern Virginia in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 10, 2004
posted
Speaking of the mainspring in the chime movement you might notice, in Tom's picture, that the spring is wound by a 12 tooth pinion driving a 30 tooth gear on the winding arbor. This gives a 2.5 to 1 mechanical advantage. This said, the original winding key measures 2 7/8 inches across the wings. I have the rod chime version of this clock and was fortunate enough to get the original key with it.

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004