WWT Shows CLICK TO: Join and Support Internet Horology Club 185™ IHC185™ Forums

• Check Out Our... •
• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Victor Kullberg chronometer with broken pivot or jewel "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
I have just recieved in the mail my newly purchased Victor Kullberg marine chronometer #9231 dating to 1917. The outer box is near mint. However the chronometer was not removed from the gimbals for shipping ,nor tightened properly in place, and came loose inside the box,tumbling around the post office for 11 days breaking the original glass,and then the chronometer and broken plate glass giving a beating to the inside varnish. The pivot next to the balance wheel is either broken or the jewel is. Miracle of miracles the balance is unbroken!!! My question is, is there a chronometer repairman in the club who can fix it,and if there is,how much are the repairs??? I've wanted a ship's chronometer nearly all my life, finally bought one , and now this piece of bad luck. The chronometer was not running when I bought it so it is possible the pivot may have been broken prior to shipping. However I am upset over the combination of the broken pivot and the look of the inside of the box, mint a few days back and scratched and beat up now, though I can probably fix the box up myself without too much problem. sigh!!! Frown Roll Eyes

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
I think Chris Abell would be the one to contact.He has a post about chronometers in the European Pocket Watch forum.

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
posted
Greetings,

Dewey Clark is the best in the business for marine chronometers and is quite fair in his pricing. He is with Historic Timekeepers. He's got three of my marine chronometers right now and from the communications he is doing a bang up job on them. Let me know if you need his contact information, his website says he is not taking work, that just hasn't been updated yet.

I've used Chris before for a pocket watch as well, he did a great job too.

Posts: 102 | Location: Houston, Texas in the USA | Registered: September 26, 2009
posted
Commiserations on that bit of bad luck, I know how you feel. I bought a Kirova from Russia and the escapement/ balance wheel wasn´t properly corked, jewels broke off and the balance wheel broke.
But I have some good news for myself today, my model 21 from 1941 which I bought from a wonderful member of IHC, Ray Hallenbeck (thanks again Ray!)arrived safe and sound...
I hope you find someone proficient to fix up yours Tom!

My WWW collection is now complete, time to look for new ventures!

Posts: 699 | Location: Hannover in Germany | Registered: July 23, 2009
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
thanks all,I'm a cancer survivor and nine year dialysis patient,so my income was impacted for years,now at 68 on old age pension,my pennies are quite tight.I have found a few nice clocks and watches of late, and managed to buy them,by carefully marshalling my meagre supply of dollars LOL. I finally bit the bullet and bought my chronometer in case I don't get another chance, now have to decide if I can get it fixed,or to just keep it and love it as it is!! Big Grin as you can see even damaged I am in love with it Smile

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
posted
Tom, is this the same as yours, if so...Beautiful
Victor Kullberg

PS. Was it not insured agains damage in transit?

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
hi Werner;It was not secured or packed properly so they won't cover it, If you look to the right of that page you sent,there is another Kullberg chronometer. Mine is much more like that!!

posted
Hi Tom, then surely the person or firm that sent it to you must at least take some of the burdon. I know I´d make quite a stink about it, considering it wasn´t packed and secured properly!
All depending on what was paid for the Chrono of course! If you got it cheap (which I doubt) then maybe that could be taken into consideration!
Regards

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted

posted
Tom, there´s a mail on its way to you. Dewey Clark´s waiting for your Chronometer Wink