• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Joyce whitchurch clock (tower clock) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here is a clock I bought last week -I had to have it!!! I never seen a clock like this before only in pictures in books.I was looking for history on it and came to this great site of yours.All I know it comes from Whitchurch England -thanks everyone

Posts: 7 | Location: Northern Illinois in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
next picture

Posts: 7 | Location: Northern Illinois in the USA | Registered: October 21, 2008
posted
can anyone point me in the right direction and find more history on it-thanks bob

Picture of James H. Miller
posted
wow thats cool do you know anything about it?

Posts: 279 | Location: Wheatridge, Colorado in the USA | Registered: January 20, 2008
posted
Thanks for the reply-but no I don't. I thought someone like you guys that are masters clock people to tell me more about it. I been collecting clocks for about 18 yrs and never came across one like this!! The guy I bought it off of bought it 14yrs ago from a familiy of a clock collector that die. I been on the web all week to find more about it and emailed the company that took over this company (still waiting for email back) I have to tightened up the verge its a little loose on shaft but that's it. One clocksmith said it is 1870's? I don't know except it is cool and I had to have it-thanks bob

Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Sorry Bob, I don't have any information to help you but thanks for sharing this interesting clock with us!

Debbie

Smile

Posts: 5236 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
quote:
Joyce whitchurch clock

This is some of what I have found:
he Whitchurch and Tattenhall Railway, proposed by LNWR in 1870, was intended to break the GWR monopoly from Shrewsbury to Chester. Apart from this competitive consideration, very little thought was given to how it would serve the area it passed through. Douglas Barnard’s scrutiny of the final published route, opened in October 1872, shows that:

The first station out of Whitchurch was six miles away at Malpas, and then it was a mile from the town it was supposed to serve. The next station, Broxton, was not near to any residential area and only Tattenhall was adjacent to a community. A halt was provided at Grindley Brook at a later date, but this did not last for many years.

By now, Whitchurch had become an important junction. Consequently, the LNWR built further goods sidings. A pedestrian bridge replaced the earlier level crossing, and coal and timber wharves were operating from 1881. Three signal boxes now controlled traffic. Several other improvements were added during the 1880s, including provision of a two-faced clock on the ‘down’ platform, manufactured and serviced by the renowned Whitchurch firm JB Joyce and Company.

So the question is, is this the same kind of clock manufactured by JB Joyce and installed at Whitchurch.
Next This:
Brief company history

William Joyce began making grandfather clocks in the village of Cockshutt, North Shropshire in 1690. The business developed as a flourishing family concern, handed down through the generations from fathers to sons. In 1790, the firm moved to premises at 40 High Street. This building, with its cast iron frontage, stands opposite the present-day Civic Centre.

Among important innovations during the nineteenth century, Thomas Joyce diversified into the manufacture of large clocks for public buildings in 1834. During 1849 the firm was engaged in making a new design of gravity escapement, said to be ‘the greatest invention since the pendulum’.

The oldest-established maker of tower clocks in the world, JB Joyce and Co moved to their present purpose-built factory in Station Road in 1904. A member of the Smith of Derby Group since 1965, the firm enjoys a worldwide reputation as a maker of highest quality large clocks for installation in public places. They include municipal buildings, major railway stations, cathedrals and churches. The company also provides an extensive range of clock maintenance, repair and conservation services.

JB Joyce clocks in Whitchurch

The tower of St Alkmund’s parish church at the top of the High Street bears a Joyce clock, installed in 1977 to replace their previous clock of 1849.

The clock on St John’s Church, St John’s Street, was installed in 1879.

On Green End Parade, junction of Green End and Brownlow Street, is a modern electrically powered clock installed in 1994.

A Joyce standard pillar clock of 1994 stands at the Bull Ring, where Green End meets the High Street.

Outside Whitchurch, there are other Shropshire examples at Wem, Ellesmere, Market Drayton and Shrewsbury, and on dozens of village churches and private properties all over the country.

Some notable JB Joyce clocks

In England and Wales:

Chester Eastgate
Union House, Madeley, Ironbridge
Montgomery Town Hall
Royal Exchange, Manchester
Aberystwyth Railway Station
Worcester Cathedral

In other countries:

Sydney Post Office, Australia
Government House, Delhi
Customs House, Shanghai
Rio de Janeiro (3)
HM Dockyards, Gibraltar
Capetown City Hall

Further information
At The Whitchurch Heritage and Tourist Information Centre at 12 St Mary’s Street there is a substantial list of JB Joyce clocks in public places, on many village churches, and on large private houses and stables throughout Britain. The list also includes a significant number of installations in countries abroad.

For more on JB Joyce & Co, see www.smithofderby.com.
This link is not operating.
Now if Bob can find out where his unit came from.....
Moses

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
IHC Life Member
Picture of Moses Gingerich
posted
http://www.smithofderby.com/joyce.htm

Bob, I suggest that you see this link and contact them to see if where ever your movement came from can be documented by the makers.

Hope you can get them talking.....!

Posts: 143 | Location: Waxhaw, North Carolina USA | Registered: March 31, 2005
posted
Thanks for the reply and history on clock.That's the company I emailed last friday and still waiting for a reply for them.When I find something new -I will repost it here-thanks everyone for your time for looking up history for me!!!!

posted
the Smith clock company email me back and said the clock is a 6" A frame clock and the factory had a fire and there is no more records on it.That's all I got from the factory on the clock.

posted
Found more on it from the company that made it, its from 1850 and they put these clocks on stables.But still can't find a picture for it.Some people said I was lucky to have the face for the clock ,because they switch the wind up for the updated electric main and keep the face on the building.