Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

old grand father clock identify "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1954
posted
i have just aquired a very old Grand father type clock with very primative pendulum and weights and also cabinet..it has a metal square dial and the movement has the drums with the possible original type of gut or sometype of cord..it has a big bell on the top for the strike..also has a day opening in the middle of the dial...i believe it is probably from the 1700's, but cannot find any info on the maker..one of the plates holding the face on has a name of Thobson and Son on top, and birmington on the bottom..any info appreciated..i am not set up to put pictures on this format any more, but will attempt to in the future..thanks in advance..

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
Administrative Assistant
Picture of Dr. Debbie Irvine
posted

Hello Victor,

I can not answer with any information about the clock but can refer you to this topic on:

HELP IN POSTING IMAGES FOR HOSTING ON OUR IHC185 DISCUSSION SITE

Debbie

Posts: 5199 | Location: Northern Ohio in the U.S.A. | Registered: December 04, 2002
IHC Member 1954
posted
i was able to find out the specs on my old clock..i cleaned the dial and flashed it back and forth under bright lights, and was able to see where the paint had worn off from the makers name..it was made by John Jones , Carnarvon..the adapter plate from movement to dial is stamped T Hobson and son , and Birmingham on the bottom....apparently John Jones made clocks from 1835-1844...

Posts: 203 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: May 11, 2014
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Sure would be nice to see some pictures!

Dave Turner

Posts: 1978 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011