• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Base and Ball Feet Chelsea Ships Bell Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have this nice CHELSEA SHIPS BELL clock and wonder if someone could help place a current price value on it, and add any information that may be available.

I found the following information from The Chelsea Museum.

Base and Ball Feet Chelsea Clock - The "Chelsea" 8-day high grade - Hour and Half Hour Ships striking Bell - S/N 23972 ca 1905-1909

4 1/2" Plain Silvered (Arabic Numbers) Metal Dial - Hinged Bezel - Design of Case and Base patented Oct. 24, 1905. Keeps excellent time and the ships bells remind me of the San Francisco cable car sounds (DING DING).

Here is some other interesting information that I discovered on the internet about a Boyd Park of Salt Lake City. I am thinking that this is the person whose name appears on the dial of this clock.

Denver Post, Denver, Colo.
January 4, 1899 Page 5

DEATH OF JERVIS JOSLIN
One of Denver's Oldest and Most Respected Pioneers Passes Away.

Jervis Joslin, senior member of the firm of Joslin & Park, jewelers, died this morning at 5:30, at his residence, 1345 Pearl Street, after a short illness of four or five days. Pneumonia, the result of a cold, contracted last week, caused his death.

For thirty-eight years Mr. Joslin had been closely identified with the business interest of Denver and the West. All those years the firm of Joslin & Park had been one of the staunchest and best known in this part of the country. The two main houses of the firm are now established in Denver and Salt Lake City, Utah. They formerly had branches in Cheyenne and Leadville.

Mr. Joslin was 62 years old and highly respected. He had a large circle of friends and had been prominent in social and musical circles. He was a man of refined tastes and was a great lover of music and musicians. His collections of violins is one of the finest in this country, many of the instruments having cost him fabulous sums of money.

Aside from conducting a general jewelry business, he has been interested in mining and other interests.

A brother, J. Jay Joslin, a wife and two children, Ralph Joslin and Miss Eleanor Joslin, survive him. Mr. Joslin was deeply attached to his family and his death comes as a great shock to both relatives and friends.

Mrs. Jervis Joslin and her son Ralph were at the father's bedside to the last. The daughter, who is studying in Boston, was notified Tuesday of her father's illness and is hastening home, unaware of the sad news awaiting her.

Boyd Park, the junior member of the firm , and Mr. Joslin's partner for nearly forty years, who is living in Salt Lake, left there yesterday for Denver and will reach here in time to attend the funeral.

When deceased started in business in Denver it was the straggling little village of Aurora. He was young and ambitious, and having confidence in the future of the place, made up his mind to settle here. The firm of Joslin & Park was started, prosperity followed the venture, branch houses were opened in Salt Lake, Cheyenne, then in Leadville, and for these many years the firm of Joslin & Park was as well known in the Rocky Mountain region as Tiffany in New York.

Mr. Joslin, being a great lover of music, was always surrounded by a music-loving coterie of friends.

Every noted musician who has visited this section of the country during the past quarter of a century knows Jervis Joslin. One of his warmest friends and admirers was Remenyl, who was always a guest of the deceased while in Denver.

Mr. Joslin was a true lover of art and in his quiet way enjoyed everything of an elevating character. In his home he was dearly loved and his sudden demise has brought sorrow to all.

Contributed by: Rita Timm 1895 Denver

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)
Proud IHC Member# 140 Wink

posted
Dial

posted
Case

posted
Movement

posted
Back

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Phil,

In Tran's book on American Clocks Vol. 3, there is a Chelsea clock with a base that make it have a tambour look to it. The dial has "Ball Watch co." on it. The accompanying, 2002 price guide puts it at $1,500.

I asked my friend, who owns a clock shop, and deals with these much more than I do, and he said $2,500 is a good ballpark figure.

I hope this helps some. As you know, values can be percieved differently by different people. I would expect you would hear a range of suggestions.

Chelsea was very willing to make "private labels" for jewelers and department stores etc.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Phil,
Some added info I just found on your clock. Pictures are from the 1911 Chelsea catalogue. It was a handout at the 1987 Great Lakes Regional.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I thought the price list was interesting. Actually pricey even back then.

Tom Seymour
NAWCC# 41293
IHC Executive V.P.

posted
Tom,

Thanks for the great information.

It never ceases to amaze me what you can discover by asking other collectors on this discussion site.

Makes me wish I had 3 or 4 of these nice clocks, at the original price, of course!!

Phil Dellinger
NAWCC# 157070
IHC Life Member (L12)
Proud IHC Member# 140 Wink

posted
Here are some great pictures of the BOYD PARK JEWELRY STORE in Salt Lake City, Utah. They were taken in 1914. This is the jewelry store name that is on the private label of my Chelsea Base and Ball Feet ship's Bell Clock.

I need to add the following credit for The Utah State Horoligical Society to insure that the pictures will be used as intended.

Utah State Historical Society
Salt Lake City, Utah

Copyright, 2001, Utah State Historical Society. All rights reserved.
Reproduction, storage or transmittal of this work, or any part of it, in any form or by any means, for commercial purposes, is prohibited without prior authorization of the Utah State Historical Society. This work may be used for scholarly and other non-commercial use provided that the Utah State Historical Society is acknowledged as the creator and copyright holder.

BOYD PARK Jewelry Company building at 170 South Main Street, Salt Lake city, Utah ca.1914

posted
Another picture of this building.

posted
Interior of building.

posted
Display cases.

posted
Another display case.

posted
Watch repair room.

posted
Another picture of watch repair room.

posted
Watchmakers room.

posted
Another picture of watchmaker's room.

Picture of Ted Steuernagel
posted
Phil, Some great history and nice picture you put up, by the way that is a great clock you got there

Posts: 335 | Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A. | Registered: November 23, 2002
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Phil,

Your clock is absolutely gorgeous and those are fabulous views into the past.

When does the "Way-Back" machine take us there?

I'm ready right now!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Hi Phil,
The pictures are outstanding clear, that display counter and case would be something to watch at, if only we could.
I am with Lindell to the time machine voyage!

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003