• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Mantle Clock Maker Identification "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a wooden cased, striking mantle clock which I now have managed to get more or less 'in beat'. I wondered if anyone could help identify the maker and date. The trademark on the movement is a standing lion inside a circle, embossed on the backplate of the movement.

Many thanks in anticipation!

Posts: 28 | Location: Glascow in Scotland | Registered: October 21, 2009
IHC Member 43
posted
Jack, Hard to tell from your picture what type of clock it is. The lion in a circle was used by Wecker in Germany from about 1905 to the 1990's I think. They made primarily alarm clocks. More pictures might help with an ID. Hope this helps.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
Thanks for your reply, "Curly"!

I've now attached two slightly better photos - one of the clack face and casing, the other of the movement inside the rear of the casing.

Does this help with identification?

There's a little adjuster at the top of the face which connects with a cog at the top of the pendulum. There's a gnurled wheel on the pendulum bob for moving it up and down - so I wondered what might the other adjuster above the XII be for?

posted
Here's the clock's face and casing:

posted
GS JACK, I ONCE HAD A FRENCH CLOCK THAT HAD THE SAME IDENTICLE LOGO, ALSO THERE IS A GROUP OF NUMBERS ON THE BACK PLATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PLATE, THERE SHOUL BE NUMBERS ON BOTH SIDES OF THE BACK PLATE PILLAR AT THE BOTTOM THE NUMBERS TO THE RIGHT CAN BE TRANSLATED TO GIVE YOU THE PENDULUM DROP THAT IS TYPICAL ON FRENCH CLOCKS. THE SMALL ADJUSTMENT AT THE TOP OF THE DIAL CAN BE USED IN CONCERT WITH THE PENDULUM RATEING NUT FOR A MORE PRECISE ADJUSTMENT. HAVE A GOOD DAY,EDDIE

Posts: 140 | Location: St. Paul, Minnesota in the USA | Registered: June 11, 2008
posted
Thanks for your help, Eddie! Smile

posted
The standing lion looks like the one that Muller uses.I've never seen it in a circle though.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Member 43
posted
Jack, Thanks for the additional photos. Now I can see that the clock definately looks French. I will have to do some more research on the trademark.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002