Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas #2 with Wabash Logo "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
Did the you think this an actually Wabash railRoad Seth #2 or someone just put a sticker on it?

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a. Full size photo.

This is NOT a flee bay auction.

posted
The "S" logo on dial looks like a Seikosha trademark to me.Could be wrong.Look at the movement and see if it is Japanese.I have an old catalog with pictures of all the Seth Thomas wall clocks.All have the ST in a diamond on the dial.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
clearly a Seth Thomas #2 Regulator with original dial ~~~~ Wink most likely nothing Japanese about it-just a beautiful clock it would look lovely hanging beside my two #2's Big Grin

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Life Member
posted
I'm sure it is a Seth #2.

The question is has any one ever seen a Wabash logo on any other Seth's like this.

IHC Member 1541
Picture of Lorne Wasylishen
posted
The case certainly looks to be a Seth #2.

I am wondering about the dial, the Roman numerals, hands and outer railway track look Seth.

Ordinarily, on the ones I have seen the bottom half of the diamond below the "6" is cut off by MANUFACTURED IN THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

The seconds chapter is different than the one on Seth's I have seen.

What does it say just below the XII?

I assume these are seller pics so no chance of a close-up of the Wabash logo (it looks like a sticker to me) and the logo below it?

To answer your question, I have not seen a Wabash logo on a Seth.

Posts: 2093 | Location: British Columbia in Canada | Registered: March 02, 2011
posted
I still think the "S" logo is not a Seth Thomas logo.I've never owned a # 2 Seth but every one I've ever seen has The ST in a diamond trademark.I have owned and collected many Seth Thomas mantle clocks and all have the ST in a diamond.Never seen a Seth Thomas without it.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Correct it is the sellers photos. The Wabash logo looks hokee also to me.

IHC Member 1725
posted
If these are the only pics the seller is offering, not sure about it. I would like to see the bezel open and movement. Looks like there would be more script on the dial, but as my wife says I could be wrong.

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I would be inclined to agree with Norm. At least the dial looks "fishy". Maybe the correct case and movement.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
The movement and the case are Seth Thomas. The dial is a paper over metal. With the added bonus of a Wabash pasted insignia. Not original.

The good news is I got at a reasonable price.

It is hard to believe that the auctioneer could not tell this was pasted on.

IHC Life Member
posted
The seconds register is also pasted on to the paper dial.

IHC Life Member
posted
Here is a close up of the marking.

IHC Life Member
Picture of Donald Trumble
posted
Gene,

Here is an earlier topic (read all of it for a great "before and after" story) where Lindell recommended a reliable service that can properly restore dials such as yours.

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...6029761/m/1191071023

Hope that helps, your clock could turn out nicely, keep us up to date on your progress!

Don

Posts: 504 | Location: Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: April 02, 2005
Picture of Dave Turner
posted
I suppose there are two schools of thought on this, but if it was my clock I'd be inclined to leave the dial as it is, even though not originally correct.

Or possibly remove the Wabash label and leave the rest.

And what I would really do is leave it alone for a while and then reconsider it a few months later.

Just my two cents.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Life Member
posted
I will leave it like I bought it. I Was hope full that it was original.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Is the dial painted, repainted, or paper?

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
IHC Member 1725
posted
Hi Eugene,

I am sure that the auctioneer knew that it was a pasted sticker and the dial was paper. I been to enough auctions before to know there is some shady auctioneers out there, that try to take advantage of some people to try to make a little more money. Saying that... I know they are in the business to make money, but in my honest opinion that is not the way to do it. As I stated above if he would had a picture of the door open I am sure some of us could have picked up on it. I always thought the case was original but was suspicious of the dial. There is always dials on Ebay floating around or you can possibly do something with that dial. Keep us posted!!

Best regards,
Tim

Posts: 376 | Location: Conover, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: July 07, 2012
IHC Life Member
posted
The dial is paper.
I can buy a painted dial from Time savers that would look like (A original one). But it will never be an original dial. SO WHY.
This clock has had this dial on it for quite awhile.

I will enjoy it either way

IHC Life Member
posted
Tim I agree with you it is quite obvious this has a glued on Wabash logo. When I called the guy he said he can not tell.

But O-well I got it for about $200 less than if it would of been on flee bay. Smile

It is run good hanging on the wall.