Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

400 day book "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Can anyone recommend a book on 400 day clocks.
I picked one up at a flea market, but have no type of reference or technical info on it.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Scott,
There are a few good books out there on 400 day clocks, and perhaps Andy will mention some others, but from my experience if you are going to have only one, I would get Horolovar 400 Day Clock repair Guide. It was originally written by Charles Terwilliger who has since passed away. The newer editions are revised and edited by Bill Ellison who also has taken over the Horolovar company which supplies suspension springs and other needs in the repair of 400 day clocks.

This has a nice section on the history of 400 day clocks with lots of pictures, and is an valuable resourse if you are going to do any repair work on them.

I have purchased three so far. The newer editions are always worth the price. My latest is the 10th edition. I am not sure if there is a newer one.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Tom,
Thank you. I'm going to look for that book.

Posts: 1033 | Location: Northeast Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: June 02, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Scott,

You can get the book from Arlington Books. It is listed HERE. Look under "repair". $29.95

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Scott,
You can get the current edition of the Horolovar guide from the NAWCC bookshop for $24.95 and get 10% off that. I also highly recommend the NAWCC Suppliment #16 on clocks by Aaron Dodd Crane for only $3.00 (what a bargain!). Those are the earliest type of torsion clocks made.

http://www.nawcc.org/giftshop/americart/bk_clk.htm

Chapter 168 was also suppose to be working on updating the information in the horolovar guide to correct some errors and bring it up to date. I haven't heard any news on that though. Also Tran Duy Li was suppose to be making a book on torsion clocks, and photographed a lot of them, but no word on that book either.

Chapter 168 deals with all types of torsion clocks. They are suppose to have a quarterly magazine, "The Torsion Times" which has a lot of information in it. Unfortunately it is rarely ever printed anymore. I don't know what has happened.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Scott,

The Horolovar book is indeed the best. It saved me much heartache and it lists the suspension spring strngth AND give a layout to match a rebuild too. That and an electronic timer to set the beat accurately. I never could get a year out of a 400 day clock before the timer, now I get 400+ easily.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
IHC Life Member
Watchmaker
Picture of Scott Cerullo
posted
Thanks you all saved me some time and money and I really appreciate it. These clocks are getting more and more interesting to me.