Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

My Reputation is In Jeopardy. "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Re- The Pub' Clock, I cleaned and oiled the Ansonia Regulator Wall Clock in May 2004 and it's run and kept good time ever since,also provided me with a reason to go and wind it weekly. Just before Xmas it suffered a spate of un-explained irregular stoppages, to prevent me having to stop going up there, I have now brought the Clock home and it is hanging on my wall, I have corrected a small fault and it it running like a good-un. I will try and take some pic's and keep you up to date with progress, I cannot afford to let this unfortunate state of affairs occur again.Just a thought "Are Clocks Female"?. Regards ,Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
posted
GED, an amusing situation you have. Clocks are female. At least in the "fact" that there are simple ones and complicated ones. Hope you are able to return the clock to it's rightful place. A brew at home just isn't the same, is it.

Posts: 44 | Location: Cincinnati, Ohio USA | Registered: August 09, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Ged - sometimes you have to take it back to the shop just to let them know that it is not always an easy fix. They will appreciate you and the clock all the more upon your triumphant return!!!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Actually, it reminds me of a story I read a while back where clock and watchmakers used to contract with home owners to have one of their apprentices go around to their homes to wind and regulate clocks each week as a service. Occasionally (on the sly), the apprentices would make an odd adjustment to a clock in order to make it 'malfunction', requiring the clock to make a visit to the clockmaker for 'cleaning and adjusting'. It kept the clockmaker in business, and the clock owner was none the wiser, as they THOUGHT the clock really required attention, and were more than happy to have the service done.

Like Tom said above, it just makes you all the more valuable to the pub owner, as you're keeping his clock in service. You may want to keep the above story in mind. Wink

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Reminds me of when Russell, the then DJ and Bouncer at the local bar we "lived" at, used to change the clock at Harrigan's all the time, just for the sake of making the owner, Tom, crazy!!!!

It was great fun, and everyone knew the clock was OK, but Tom!
Eventually we did tell him what we were doing, and he got a real kick out of it. His grandfather never let him live it down either.

Great memory.

Ahhh to be 18 again!

Sheila

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Pub' Clock is still running okay after my slight adjustment to close gap on bottom of Crutch where the Pendulum Shaft Rod passes through wire loop, I also put a little oil on rod at this point. I still can't fathom out if this was the fault, why did clock run so well for 18 months?. Ged. PS, I will keep Clock for at least another week, The Landlord and his Wife are in their Villa in France for 10 days so there's no hurry, and I want him to MISS it.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
Hi Ged ~ yes a power loss would seem to be the indication...believe observing and then possibly narrowing the loop was a good first response...would not recommend oil at that juncture tho'...tends to be more foul than fair....Jim

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Now with Face and hands under Test. Hope to take it back at the weekend. Thank You all For looking In. Ged. Jim, I had already had second thoughts on that and wiped most /if not all of oil off base of crutch/rod juncture.

posted
I ran across this post, and while reading it again, I remembered, that I forgot to post one of my thoughts about having to take the clock home after having it work so well for so long.

Did it ever dawn on anyone that maybe there were some scuffle that no one knew about, or maybe an accidental bump to the clock. Sure wouldn't be unusual in a pub. Especially after hours. Like when a girlfriend tosses a bar towl at a guy and almost knocks every glass off a shelf.

Oh how I remember those days.

and by the way, how's it running these days?

Sheila

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Sheila, Clock is fine and is keeping really good time, varies less than a minute a week. Unlikely had a bump as it is screwed to the wall. This is a fortunate and timely comment from you as I now have to remember to wind Clock tonight as I am going to my youngest daughters on Sat' as its her birthday and wont be able to wind Clock as normal on Sat' mid-day. Personally I think it gets stopped when someone is trying to get a drink aftertime Smile SmileRegards, Ged.

posted
Ged,

"Personally I think it gets stopped when someone is trying to get a drink aftertime."

I think you hit the nail on the head with that one! It sure wouldn't be the first time I have seen that happen!!! lolol

I'm glad to h ear that the clock is running so well, and have a great time at your daughters.

Sheila