Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Her Majesty's Timepiece "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 1016
posted
On the 3rd of July we toured the Britannia, which was the Royal Yacht for Queen Elisabeth II from 1953 until decommissioning recently. This is the ship's clock on the bridge and all other clocks aboard reflected the time on this one.

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 1016
posted
Close-up of the dial marking. (I thought about offering to take it off their hands but they really don't have a sense of humor).

Posts: 3112 | Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon in the USA | Registered: October 13, 2007
IHC Member 2030
posted
Nice electric. How big, 6 in? I see many coats of paint and many brass polishes in this photo. Decommissioned means take stuff before the captain and admiral swipe them.

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1016
posted
Mike, the Britannia is now a museum floating in Leith Harbor near Edinburgh, Scotland. There may, or may not, be some refinishing but all is authentic including the State Dining Room, HM Bedroom, office etc. A person stripping this ship would have been in serious trouble.
Everything on this ship has a high polish and nearly everything is from the 1953 build. It was "well maintained".

IHC Member 2030
posted
Mike
Excellent, well deserved proud history. Thanks for posting. What a shine!
The sequoia was in town for years, if you knew the shipyard owner, you could look around the boat.
I was joking about picking parts, you would be shot, no questions .
rule Britania, Britania ruled the waves for centuries.
Sequoia

Posts: 1114 | Location: Virginia Beach, Virginia in the USA | Registered: February 08, 2015
IHC Member 1016
posted
The engine room looks like a hospital as for clean and shine. But then, it is unusual for the skipper to be an Admiral, and his guys had to do something between uses every several years by the Royal Family.

When I went through my military training, an expert with firearms told me that the Army never wore out a gun by shooting it, but they wore out millions by over cleaning! Somewhat of an exaggeration, but not too much!