Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

clock question (need help) "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
Picture of Samie L. Smith
posted
i have a question about 2 clock movements..I wil say frist of all i know nothing at all about clocks , so i hope these questions dont sound too stupid..I got a email wanting from a guy wanting information on 3 clock movements..

these are weight driven movement,s with the weights and pendulum,s also dials but no cases..He sent me 4 pictures of each one ,but the kb size is too large to post up..Iam going to get some 640X480 pictures from him that i can post up ..

On one movement is writen whitmore -northampon and the numbers 1841 also 927 dial is about 10-1/4 inch..

on the other WM MARSHALL WOLSINGHAM OR WATSINHAM
DIDN,T SEE ANYTHING ON THE MOVEMENT..

THE THRID ON LOOKS TO BE THE OLDEST BUT I CAN NOT MAKE OUT WHAT IS WRITTEN ON THE DIAL ..ALTHOUGH THE DIAL ON THIS ONE IS VERY NICE..

I know with this limited info.and with no pictures you may not be able to tell me much,,but if you have info. on these i would appreciate your help..

i will try to get the pictures posted up soon..
thanks
SAMIE L. SMITH
samie348@net-power.net

Posts: 3208 | Location: Monticello, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: June 24, 2004
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Post the images right here Samie.

We'll alll be watching for them!

Wink
Eek

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Samie, I will take a shot at helping you. I would need to see the pictures first. If you email me the pictures, I will take a crack at resizing them for you.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hi, WHITMORE. Northampton.1811, Made a watch.
Loads of Wm Marshall's but not at that location. There is a village in Norfolk ,A religious Shrine Chapel is there,Village name spelt WALSINGHAM , Photo's will help. Regards Ged.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hope it helps.

Posts: 909 | Location: Winterton-on-Sea Norfolk, England | Registered: February 17, 2003
IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
hi thanks so much for your help.
TOM WHAT IS YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS AND I WLL TRY AND GET THE PICTURES TO YOU..I HAVE TRIED TO RESIZE THE PICTURES BUT HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO DO SO..

i HOPE TO SOMETIME TODAY GET THE PICTURES LOADED..

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
PICTURE OF THE WM MARSHALL

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
SECOND WM MARSHALL PIC.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
3RD MARSHALL PIC.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
FRONT OF THE WHITMORE

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
BACK OF WHITMORE

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Again, Both 30hr clocks in my opinion, the brass face one looks good quality and earlier. Regards, Ged.

IHC Member 376
Watchmaker
posted
THANKS GED THE GUY WHO HAS THESE IS WANTING TO SELL THEM AND KNOWING NOTHING ABOUT CLOCKS I DID NOT KNOW WHAT TO TELL HIM..

DO THESE MOVEMENTS HAVE ANY VALUE..

I HOPE TO GET THE PICTURES ON THE THIRD CLOCK LOADED TODAY..

Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Hello Again, Your friend could try one on Ebay, I would sell them seperatly to get best price. My theory on this is "There's a lot of people with a little money, but not too many with a lot". Yes they have a value, Personally I'm not into 30hrs. There's quite a lot about in England. Cases are hard to come by. So many lost to Woodworm and Flooding. All the best, Ged.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Gerald,

What does it look like when a clock case has had woodworm? Will it have a lot of little random holes in the wood? I just saw an old German regulator that looked like this, the first time I have seen it. Either that or someone antiqued it with a shotgun. Big Grin

Is woodworm a danger in the US? Seems I have heard of people bringing a clock here and it spread in their house, but can it spread outside too? Is it the climate, or why is it not so common here?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Samie,
I see you got the pictures loaded. good job. I have nothing to add to the information you have already read in the above comments. If I come across anything additional, I will add it to the thread.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Andy, I will try and answer your questions regarding woodworm. As far as I know the Beetle lays it's eggs in pine and other "Soft" woods, Plywood is often targetted. Iv'e seen a ply' electricity meter board completely crumbled nearly to dust. The holes left by the grubs are quite small approx 1mm in dia'. In this country we suffer from another larger wood eater beetle called The Deathwatch Beetle This in the main attacks old Oak and is commonly found in Churches and Ancient buildings, The holes left by these grubs are much larger at least 1/8inch in dia'. I saw these when I was doing Leadwork on Ely Cathedral and other churches. My theory why you don't suffer from it, not backed up by any evidence ,Imust add. Is that we, and most Europeans don't use Screens on doors and windows as in the US, therefore they cant get in ,unless invited by the purchase of a piece of already infected furniture or "Clock". The wood that is infected can be readily treated by several woodworm chemicals on the market. A Clock-dealer friend of mine swears by putting infected article in a Deep-freeze for a couple of days as a certain cure. Longcase Cases go in in a friendly butcher's deep-freeze. Regards, Ged.

Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
How much does woodworm lower the value? Are people who know about it afraid to buy anything with the holes? The clock at the auction has over 100 holes visible, mainly in the thicker carved areas, but there are holes in every piece on it. The only thing not affected are the bottom knobs (finials?), so they must be replacements. A very similar clock at the auction doesn't appear to have any of these holes. I doubt the auctioneer will mention it.

Gerald, do you get Japanese Beetles in your garden? They are a real menace here to many plants, like your woodworms are to your furniture. Mad

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Ged Pitchford
posted
Andy and all, Don't know about Japanese Beetles, We have enough pests in the garden without them. One or two are notifiable to the law, such as ,one of yours maybe ,The Colorado Beetle Which attacks potatoes.There are companies here which will give a 20year guarantee against re-infestation if you have them treat your house ,so they must have some chemicals which do the job. A newcomer to to our village has just had his house treated and is to sue his surveyor for not finding out about the problem and reporting it in his expensive survey. His house is one of only two I know of in this village that is of timber frame construction, we don't go in for wooden houses very often in this country. Mine is standard type ,outer walls are 4-1/2 in brick 2in insulated cavity then 4-1/2in inner insulating block making outer walls 11in. all inner walls are 4-1/2 insulating block. The roof is Pitched to approx 40deg on timber trusses,water-proof felted and treated rot-proof battened to hang the Clay or concrete tiles on. Never see Felt/Bitumen shingles or sheet roofing used over here except on garden sheds or sometimes on "flat-roof" extension add-ons,Usually where you couldn't get a pitched roof for some reason or other. Glad to see the Freezer method is a YES. Thanks to the ingenious Freezer adaptor guy for showing his treatment of his Longcase Clock.Regards, Ged. PS , My Keyboard keeps making spelling mistakes, does your's?.