Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info needed: Ayrton & Perry "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I saw this very nice looking clock in Edison's Menlo Park Laboratory, now at Greenfield Village. I have not heard of this maker.

It is a very pleasing clock to look at. although it does appear to have only three feet.

The dial has "AYRTON & PERRY" and then "ERC--ETER"

Can anyone supply some info on this maker?

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Closeup of dial.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Hello Tom,

Interesting clock....

I checked Spittler & Bailey and Bailie and name is not listed in either. I suspected it might be a jeweler or retailer. However, I checked a number of states for cities/towns beginning with "Erc" and found nothing. It looks like an English name.

However, the question is what is the function of the 3 contacts on right side of the clock? The 3 brass feet almost appear they are adjustable to insure the clock stays level (3 points determine a plain from 8 grade geometry).

Do you know Jim West maybe he could get you a contact at Museum to get a closer look at the clock?

Andy Dervan

Posts: 53 | Location: Grosse Pointe, Michigan USA | Registered: March 07, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
Thanks. Yes I do know Jim West. I worked with him for a time in the archives of the museum going through the clocks not on display and writing up descriptions. They had no idea, really, of what they had.
The comment about three legs defining a plane was great to the ears of a former teacher!! A three legged table never wobbles.

The contacts on the side was another question. Seeing it is in the lab where Edison experimented with electricity, and invented the light bulb, I figured it might be something he added to electrify the movement, or have it send a signal at given times.

Jim lives a very short distance away. If I can get his number I will follow up on this.

Tom