• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Ships clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
This ship,s clock is exactly like one i found which i would like to buy.It has pinned hands and from 1890, this one is.It is time only no bells or gongs.
What is known of these clocks?
What price range would they sell in?
The one i saw weighs 10 to 12 pounds, quite heavy and looks like a nickel plated case it is in.
Would these be platform escapements?
Thanks for all thoughts on this. Smile

clock

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Do you mean that there is no bell visable or it doesn't have a strike train?

There is an 8 day, time only clock shown(but with a seconds bit on the bottom). Model name: "Boat Clock".

There are two 30hr. models shown without an outside bell. Either could be had with a strike movement. These were called: The Monitor and the Merrimac.

It is my understanding that an 8 day was available with a bell on the inside also. But I don't happen to find it.

There were no plateform escapements on these. They were "lever" escapements(with hairsping).

Yes, they are heavy. I don't know the value.

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Greg, the one i found has 2 mainsprings but i believe no bells or gongs.When i get the clock or more info, then i will post more.

Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Hi Kevin:
Nice find. Is the one that you found a Seth as well? With the double mainspring would it be an 8 day or 15? Looking forward to seeing it!
P.S. I know of one for sale in Ottawa; however I believe it is English. If I remember correctly the price is $475 Canadian. Hope this helps!
gp

Grant Perry

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
posted
On your ships clock, it must be close to the one I have, but mine is late 1920s, arabic numerals instead of roman, two striking levers for the lower bell. Did you get any more information?

Posts: 3 | Location: Seattle, Washington in the USA | Registered: April 08, 2013