• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

One Mans' Opinion "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I don't know if this is the proper place to vent my spleen but everyone on this site seems to be pretty straight forward and honest with their thoughts so here it goes
Nothing pisses me off more than taking the time to help a fellow clockie trying to solve a problem than having some ***hole come in with the next post and criticize every statement you've made instead of just adding his own enhancements to your post to give that individual a broader view of how different folks do the same application. I've had this done several times on the OTHER message board and have seen it done to other posters there who where generous enough to share their knowledge.
For Gods sakes folks, no one persons method is the Holy Grail of repair work all the folks who answer this posts are more than willing to give you their interpretation of how they would handle it and I think that is pretty generous of them.
So, in conclusion if you want to add some value to this message board park your **** ego and just add some of your own particular methods of repairing clocks and watches. Your method is not the only proper way to approach a problem just one small part of a large group of personal opinions from other knowledgable folks,theirs being just as valid as yours
I hope I did offend those folks who are guilty of this behavior, clean your act up. To the rest of my fellow Clockies it is an honor to share this site with you. You're a wonderful bunch!
Fed Up, Bob F.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hey Bob,
Vent away. I feel the same way. Some people on the other board never bother to help anyone, but they are quick to criticize anyone who does offers help. Then there are people who completely ignore something people suggest, and that gripes me too.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
If we're venting, please add MY pet peeve of having what are apparent basic questions that I ask completely ignored, even by the moderators of particular sections. I mean, we're not ALL experts by ANY stretch of the imagination, and if a question is asked (speaking specifically about mine here), I'm honestly looking for an answer to something I'm doing or researching at the time. Sorry if I've bothered folks with my questions, and my occasional observations. I'm just trying to participate like everyone else. I'll admit to deleting questions I've left hanging out in an area for several days, because I'm a bit embarassed to think maybe the question was so juvenile to the group, it is not deserving comment.
I now return you to your regularily scheduled program, already in progress....Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
posted
Mark and everyone else.The question you don,t ask is the only stupid question.I often answer questions about things i am not a expert on, i do say often this is my opinion.We are all here because we love this hobby, and we can lern from everbody.Regardless of our experience.Some people here have many years of experience and share and do apreciate other people,s veiws.
I do not like being treated a like a no body when i ask a question and i am ignored.This can and does happen on the other board.I also do not want to be put down and made to look stupid because i explained my way of tackling a job.
We are all diiferent and that is a good thing. Smile

posted
Well, Well, Well, It looks like I opened up a real can of worms. Any individual with even a rudimentary knowledge of clock repair should chime right in with his opinion when a question is posted on this message board, then our more experienced folks can jump in and enhance those previous posts. Participation is what makes 185 a great horology website. Don't ever think your question is too elementary to post,there are probably a 1000 other people out there that would like to know the answer also,how the **** do you think some of these so called elementary questions generate 15 to 20 responses. It always starts with the first question. Try to remember this is not a website for certified master watch and clockmakers this is a website for a bunch of folks with average skills who love the field of Horology and love to share their experiences and skills with other folks who may not be quite as talented but love tinkering with clocks and watches.
Basically, what I'm saying is if we are going to respond to a post lets add some value to it and not beat down the other guy or gal just to stroke your two bit ego. Enhance the previous posts, don't use it as a platform to dazzle everyone with your superior intellect
Thank all of you for responding to my gripe, maybe some good will come from it.
Not Quite As Fed Up, Bob F.

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Smile
You said it Robert.That is what makes Chapter 185 a great site.
Paticipation.
Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Well said Robert. I hope everyone here feels free to ask whatever questions they have, or share something interesting they come across.
Lots of good people on this site. Fear of posting should never be an issue.

As moderator of the clocks section, I know that I certainly don't have the answer to everyone's question, and rely on others to share what they know. I would hope, however, that we never ignore a question.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thank you all for your candor. I wouldn't expect any thing less from the wonderful people who frequent 185. Unlike that country club site where everbody and their brother seems to be a Phd this site caters to the multitudes of us who aren't consumed by our own bull****.The folks here KNOW how to treat one another, with respect and courtesy.I've corresponded with some wonderful,wonderful people on the other site who where more than generous with their skills and I admire the way they share it with everyone,but as in real life if you go out of the house and meet 10 people and 8 of them commit a random act of kindness and 2 of are total *** holes its always those last 2 that stay with you. I guess thats the problem I'm having.
I thank you all for responding to my post. I may have been a little out of line but I wanted to get this off my chest.
Not Fed Up Anymore, Bob F.

posted
Robert,
I know how you feel.I try to answer any question I know enough about.I've been in this field for 44 years but I don't know how to answer some of these questions.I wait for someone who has better skills at explaining things.
I have answered someone and had another person contradict me as if I had never seen a watch.That goes against my grain.So,I don't say anything else on that post.
I agree we are all going to need help some times and any help is always appreciated by me.
Thank you for starting this .
J Smith

Posts: 188 | Location: Warrenton, North Carolina U.S.A. | Registered: January 12, 2003
IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Well, I feel just an acknowledgement that the question has even been asked is appreciated, even if the person replying does not know the answer to the question. 'One way' discussions are not very enjoyable, and I've started my fair share of them. Just my thought on the subject....Regards. Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002
IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
...I just aspire to the knowledge embodied in a 'Julian Smith'...I just wish I had one iota of the knowledge and 'know-how' that this man possesses...

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003