Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Ball Watch Co Clock INFO NEEDED "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Picture of Eugene Buffard
posted
What do all the experts think about this Seth Thomas that is marked Ball Watch Co.

My first thoughts are that it is not a good enough clock to even be legit. It appears to be a mainspring clock. as the school house style would not give enough room for a weight.

Posts: 3323 | Location: Illinois in the USA | Registered: July 06, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Ok I did a search Seth Thomas Ball Clock on the site Maybe it is legit.

IHC Member 1335
Picture of Tom Brunton
posted
certainly legit as Ball went to these i believe after the #2 regulators,maybe in tougher times,but I've seen several of each type Wink

Posts: 1746 | Location: Aylmer, Ontario in Canada | Registered: December 15, 2009
IHC Member 43
posted
I always thought that if he sold watches with his name on the dial, why not clocks. That has nothing to do with using them as a "regulator". These models of Seth Thomas clocks were not regulators even if some people call them that. My ten cents worth (adjusted for inflation).

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
I might try purchasing but will not pay a lot for. Because I agree with Curly.

Between a Model 2 and this model is like comparing a 7 Jewel watch to a 17 jewel.

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
From my understanding from when I bought mine it helps verify that it is a Ball clock if it has the paper label behind the pendulum;
https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...243910857#2243910857

Steve Middlesworth's

https://ihc185.infopop.cc/eve/f...191071023#1191071023

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
Railway Historian
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator
Picture of Larry Buchan
posted
I have two Ball Seth Thomas No. 2 & 3 weight regulators in my collection, along with this spring driven Ball Seth Thomas, as there is no second bit this could not have been used as a standard clock for employees to check their railway watches against, and would have been more likely used for railway station waiting rooms for the public.

Larry

Posts: 3370 | Location: Okotoks Alberta Canada | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
Picture of Richard M. Jones
posted
I know little about clocks but as a teenager in a small Iowa town I haunted the Jeweler who was a wonderful fellow and a skilled watch man. In his small store he had a similar Ball clock and my understanding is it came out of the local train station when they gave up the spur line. Since Mr. Ball had a large store and sold items besides railroad watches it makes sense he would have had a line of clocks.

Deacon

Posts: 1004 | Location: Omaha, Nebraska in the USA | Registered: February 14, 2009
Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
I have the same exact clock only with Seth Thomas on the dial just above the 6 an inch or so.

It doesn't lose a minute between windings every 7 days. Mine is a walnut case.

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007