• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Update! Cuckoo Clock off chime (now working!) "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Found a beautiful turn of the century (last century) American Cuckoo clock. Very nice clock and original.
Rebuilt bellows, cleaned oiled etc.. Works perfectly "except" The cuckoo gets off chime to the hour and then it gets totally random. It will chime the 3 o'clock on the half hour and then the 6 o'clock on the 2-o'clock with no rhyme or reason and its totally mixed up. If you reset the hands to match the cuckoo in short order its completely mixed up again.
I am no expert and total amateur and I was told there is a cam or lobe that is worn and not tripping things properly?? Anyone out there know what is screwed up its making me nuts
Andrew??

cheyenne56

Posts: 40 | Location: New Jersey in the USA | Registered: March 18, 2015
Picture of Dan Carter
posted
Well, it is a cuckoo clock... (I couldn't resist Smile

I really don't know either, but is it keeping time, just not chiming at the right time?
Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
Yes keeps perfect time, cuckoo and bellows function fine, just the number of cuckoos goes off, so it starts to cuckoo the hours on the half hour, or the wrong # of cuckoos for the proper hour.......
Can't find a pattern to it yet just seems to get off randomly. Perhaps I should see if I do detect a repeatable pattern to hoe it goes off?

cheyenne56

posted
Dan thank you for the help! You aren't related to Robert Carter by any chance?

cheyenne56

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
No relation to Mr. Robert Carter Smile

If it is keeping time, but the chimes are off (that is - it chimes the exact same amount of time off, ever time - then the hands are probably off. Like the hands were removed and not put back properly). If it chimes at irregular intervals, it might be something with the wheel/cam that releases the chime - I really do not know the name of it, but I imagine there is something just like a regular clock.

Dan

Posts: 407 | Location: Northern Virginia in the USA | Registered: October 08, 2011
posted
First I thought the same and removed the hands and repositioned them, but in short order the chime is off again. Always exactly on the hour and 1/2hr but not the correct number of cuckoos. I was told there is a cam/wheel that is worn. If that is true I would need someone who can braze onto it and resize, or mill out a new one on a Bridgeport, if there is anyone who is a cuckoo expert and machinist! I don't know one in my area Frown

cheyenne56

Picture of Dan Carter
posted
I wonder if there is a movement number or identifier that might help. Maybe a few pics of the inside of possible. I looked up a few videos on these and am impressed with all the things going on to get them to work.

Picture of Dave Turner
posted
Andrew, It would be good for us to see a couple of pictures of the movement.
I would suspect more than worn parts, it is an adjustment problem associated with the count wheel.

Dave Turner

Posts: 1979 | Location: Wilson, North Carolina in the USA | Registered: November 15, 2011
posted
Dan & Dave thank you I am flying back from Georgia was down seeing daughter at Georgia Tech.
When home give me a day or two and I will get it off the wall open the pack panel and take some photos!

cheyenne56

posted
Do you all know a clock repair person who can deal with Cuckoos that I could contact to ship him the Clock for repair service?

cheyenne56

Picture of Bill Carlson
posted
My opinion is cuckoos are a pain in the tush! There could be a worn pivot or bushing causing your problem. That would mean you would have to take it apart and put in a new bushing.
Here is another solution that usually cheaper than trying to solve the problem, especially if its a 24 hour movement. Purchase a new movement from here or another supplier. http://timesavers.com/search.h...o+movement&go=Search
here also: http://timesavers.com/search.h...o+movement&go=Search

Bill Carlson

Posts: 431 | Location: Billings, Montana USA | Registered: February 05, 2007
IHC Member 2067
Picture of Paul Davis
posted
Hello Andrew, I can repair your problem with the clock, email me, p&a watch and clock repair paul Davis..thanks

Paul Davis

Posts: 672 | Location: Missouri in the USA | Registered: May 01, 2015
posted
Paul thank you so much for your professional help in repairing and restoring my clock movements.
Your expertise, knowledge, and skill are greatly appreciated. All is working perfectly!!
Andrew

cheyenne56

Life Member
posted
I spent two hours today putting a new set of chains in a friend's three train cuckoo. (Admittedly, it would have been a sight easier if she hadn't "helped" by removing the old chains for me. I couldn't just snake the new chains in by tying them to he old. I had to take the movement and the music box movement both out of the case, to get the chains in and around the wheels under the plastic covers.) But, in general, I have concluded that Regula cockoos are like toasters - not designed to be repaired. I HATE working on cuckoos. I'd rather deal with a sheet metal wonder Westclox alarm than a durned ol' cuckoo, with all it's wires and fiddly bits.

I guess I should mention too, that if this had been a regular customer, two hours at $80.00 per, ten miles round trip at $0.54 a mile and $20.00 for one hour driving time plus the cost of Merritts replacement chains is probably more than the clock is worth.

Posts: 213 | Location: Westminster, Maryland in the USA | Registered: March 02, 2015