Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elgin Auto Clocks "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
I was digging around in my archival mess and found these old Elgin clocks for an Antique Car. I thought you might be interested in something a little different. They both run but need servicing. I have not yet figured out how they come apart.

Posts: 900 | Location: Wisconsin in the U.S.A. | Registered: April 28, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is another view.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the back of the case.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
this is the second clock.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Another view.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
The back of the case

IHC Life Member
Picture of David Abbe
posted
I have some of those and am looking for more. They were often used as "biker" watches after being recased in a "normal" case, so you could rad the time by just flipping up the watch from you belt while riding.

Posts: 6492 | Location: Southern California in the USA | Registered: July 19, 2007
IHC Life Member
posted
Nice Clock, Ernie. I have several of these too and they are pretty easy to service. I've done quite a few of them. Here's one of my favorite:

Posts: 1078 | Location: Ticonderoga, New York USA | Registered: March 01, 2008
Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Roger:

thiat has a great dial. How does that watch mount in a car? Or could that be more like a mantle clock with the pins on the side fitting into a base. It is intersting.

Dave:

I read your post about those before that you converted for Motorcycle riding etc. I didn't make the connection nor did I realize at the time that had a couple.

I also have a couple of antique auto clocks that are mounted i the rear veiw mirror. Now, I have a new mission! Where did I put them? When I find them I will post photos of them.

IHC Life Member
posted
Ernie...It is possible that it was a mantle clock or even a travel clock. I was thinking the pins would allow a sort of gimble mount in an automobile, but maybe not. The dial is what I really like. If you do your own repair work on watches, you will find these very easy to work on.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Roger:

Most of the automobile clocks I have seen were either dash mount or mirror mount. Some fit into a housing that was mounted on top of the dash. Back in the 1920's they experimented with a lot of different items. So, it is possible that your clock could have been installed in somekind of mount in an old car or truck.

When it comes to working on clocks and watches I am a novice. I have repaired an old mantle clock with my dad once. We actually made new bearings for it. I only do minor work on watches yet. I have not yet taken one completely down. But I am building up enough nerve to try.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is an antique Auto Clock from a car with just a flat board for a dash. My guess it was used in early 1900's. The back is cast brass, the side of the case is thin brass. The dial is porcelain. It measures about 4" in diameter.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is the side view. notice it is mounted on a dash with an upward slant.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is back of the case. I tried to take it apart but I need to drill out some screws as they are pretty rusted in and the heads are gone.

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is one of the rear view mirror clocks I have. The clock mounts behind the mirror. There is a clear window in the mirror so the mirror actually becomes the crystal for the clock. The dial reads, "Studebaker Electric".

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
This photo shows the back of the clock case. The clock mounts to the mirror with 4 brakets. The case is signed, "Sterling Clock Co, Lasalle, ILL".

Picture of Ernie Loga
posted
Here is a photo of one of the movements from the Elgin auto Watch/clock. The serial nuumber from the elgin Database lists this movement as a grade 480 Size 16-auto with 7 jewels. It was made in 1925. The first run was 1922 and the last run was 1926.

IHC Life Member
posted
Ernie, Pretty much a pocket watch in a case that could mount in a car. The big 37S clocks are the ones with the 2 mainsprings and are what would be a good watch to work on.

Roger