Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Electric Clock Ball Watch Co. Cleveland "Click" to Login or Register 
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I am curious where this Ball Watch Co. electric clock might have been used, it has a wiring diagram on the back that shows the clock could be hooked up to a Simplex Time Signal control, I would guess similar to the ones used by Western Union to synchronize there clocks.

Thanks
Tom

clock

Posts: 5107 | Location: New Mexico in the USA | Registered: January 27, 2007
IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

Hello Tom,

That is considered the "Ball Patent" dial.

We find this design with "Patent Applied For" on pocket watches and have established the patent was granted in 1906 to the Webb C. Ball Company. In our IHC185 Ball Watch Company Research Forum and most particularly in both the Early Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images and Later Ball-Hamilton 18-size Images you will find several examples of dials that are very similar in basic design.

In the image below this posting you will see a 1920 clock in my collection, it is a Seth Thomas Number 2 made for Webb C.Ball Standard Standard Railroad Regulator with the same dial design as your clock. That usage dates from the early Twentieth Century and was used on various clock models including the one Steve Middlesworth shared in Ball Watch Company Clock Restoration Project in this forum.

Electric clocks like yours came into common usage in the 1930s so dating your clock to the 1930s through 1940s is about as close as I could come from just looking at the dial and case, seeing the cord come out of the top and setting from the underside of the case also could put it in that time-frame. My thinking on the hands are they may be from a bit later quite possibly putting it in the immediate post WW II era. If you can share images of the movement and other particulars that might help to narrow it further. As to where it was used, clocks like this were used in offices, in industrial settings and even in public buildings and schools, the Webb C. Ball Company name on the dial could place it as originally being used the Northern Ohio area.

It is an interesting item that deserves further study.

Lindell

Wink

Ball Railroad Regulator with the same dial design...

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Thanks Lindell

I will post more later, I just received the clock in the mail today & will take a better look at it.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
It looks like this clock dates to sometime after 1940, I was able to find the patents for the numbers listed on the back & they were applied for in 1938, 39 & 40.

The clock has a dial diameter of approx 13" & the brown metal case is 14 1/4".

The glass is a dome shape & is made of glass, it is held in place with a spring.

front

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I removed the glass & the dial is paper stuck to a metal backing, I assume it is original but can not say for sure. The dial has a few brown marks on it, I am not sure if they were caused by sun light or what.

12 marks

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
This is the Ball marks

ball

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
At the top of the dial these numbers are visible.

numbers

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
The back of the clock

back

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Paper sticker giving wiring diagram for connectin to time sync.

sticker

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Movement under cover

move

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
Close up of patent numbers

patent

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
On the right side of the movement is apparently where the sync lines were connected.

sync

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
I have had it plugged in & running for several hours now & it seems to keep very good time, it is also the quietest electric clocks I have ever had, most of them seem to hum loud, this one I can't hear running.

Tom

IHC Life Member
Site Moderator

Picture of Tom Brown
posted
After taking a good look & this clock & speaking to Lindell by phone, he & I got to wondering if this was perhaps a home made dial on the clock. It had some inconsistencies, the dial cut near the top & what appeared to be a crease near the center.

This evening I was able to remove the dial & sure enough someone made the dial & placed it over the original Simplex dial. It looks like it was done quite a while back & it actually looks like it was hand drawn.

The seller who I bought this from has agreed to refund my money, I don't think it had a clue about the dial being fake, he had purchased this from a retiring watchmaker along with other things.

So I learned a lesson here, if it is worth faking someone will.

Tom

IHC Member 163
Picture of Mark Cross
posted
Those hands sure look like the old IBM electric clock hands I used to stare at day in and day out in elementary school, which used a synronized system connected to a master clock located in the school office next to the principles secretaries desk. Bit thick hour hand, and narrow minute hand.

I remember those hands well. MAN that was a long time ago, but I remember those clocks well! (grins)

Regards! Mark

Posts: 3831 | Location: Estill Springs, Tennessee, USA | Registered: December 02, 2002