Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

German Bracket Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Here we go again!

Anyone have any information on a German wooden bracket clock with a copper dial marked "Freiderich Kroner- Germany?

Could have been the seller rather than the manufacturer. Any info is appreciated!

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
Very sharp clock. I have looked in the resources that I have, and in the Bulletin index and could not find anything. German clocks are not my strong suite.

Someone else will have to chime in here!

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks Pattye, interesting clocks you have been showing on here.Is this one a fusee?
Could you post a picture of the movement?
Smile

posted
Hi Kevin,
Thanks for your reply. I do not believe this clock has a fusee movement. Don't the fusee's have solid front and rear plates? That is not the appearance of this one. I can't post a picture right now as I do not have the clock here.
Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004
posted
Kevin,
This clock is at my brother's house. But the movement looks like a fusee.

Any thoughts?
Pattye

posted
Pattye,
not sure what your clock is.
I find German and English clocks can be very similar in the way the movement is built.
Nice clock if it ever needs a home i am sure i have space for it. Big Grin

posted
Hello again:
I am bringing this discussion forward about 18 months in hope that someone will have more information.
I did notice, on the back plate, a logo built of intertwined HP above an S. Hope that creates a spark with you all.
Thanks
Pattye

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye,
I believe that tradmark is for:Philipp Haas & Sohne, St. Gorgen, trademark registered 1895 to present.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Thanks so much, Tom. Do you have further information on that maker and/or a site for me to explore?

Pattye

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Pattye, I don't know anything more about the maker. I got that info from The Bulletin, Apr. 1977 whole number 187. A good reference for trademark identification, but not much on the makers.

Tom

posted
Tom:
Thanks for your help with this information. I finally got a chance to dig out my dad's 1977 Bulletins and found the article. The trademark is right on target! Now I wish I could find more about the maker. A couple of those Haas clocks have been sold by Horton's Auctions but they were not in great shape.
Thanks again
Pattye

posted
Pattye, the International Diccionary of Clocks (Editor Alan Smith, 1996 edition) says the following:"Hass (19th century) was among the pioneers of the American system of clockmaking in the Black Forest. He established a London office in 1871, before any of the Americasn factories, and was putting labels into his clocks in German and English before 1875. In 1876 he registered a trademark entirely in English and adopted the name 'Teutonia Clock Manufactory'... A Hass movement is well made. He even used a dead-beat escapement, and rather unusually gave the movement a serial number..... the firm also produced clocks in the traditional Black Forest style. The factory was located at St Georgen, and the firm traded under the name 'Philipp Haas und Sonhe', the letters P.H. and S. intertwined being sometimes found on clocks manufactured by Haas".
There is also a picture of a P.H. 'Dumpling Eater' Clock of c.1880, in page 240.
Hope this helps.
Jose

Posts: 9 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: February 08, 2005
posted
Pattye, please replace Hass by Haas (whenever you it)in my prevoius posting. My mistake.

Jose

Posts: 9 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: February 08, 2005
posted
Jose:

Thank you so very much for this information. It is wonderful to know more about this clock. I appreciate your time and effort in responding to my inquiry!
Pattye