Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Have Any Old Alarm Clocks? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
As you may have summized...I have asked Tom to transfer these posts to the "Clock Repair" heading.

When I began hairsprings, I purchased an assortment of alarm hairsprings and also an assortment of watch hairsprings from one of the suppliers. Starting with the large hairsprings, I made simple bends...simple correction. Then on to more complex bends more complex corrections. After that I went to the next smaller size and so on, to thru the hairsprings for watches.

I'm going to create a better set of photos with clearer(I hope) instructions. Seems like a good project to keep me busy.

Greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Greg i for one apreciate the time and effort you make here.
I always find your postings very educational.
Thanks for sharing.

Picture of Sheila Gilbert
posted
Well, after seeing these fantastic posts I could just spit! I had a chance to get quite a few alarm clocks and just left them alone!!!

I like them, and I ignored them all. Poo I wish I had seen these great alarm clocks before now!

I only have 2 one is a small Elgin alarm and one is a Lux. Actually I have a few of the Lux's because they are loud and I needed them to use. Work great too.

Of course you don't wind and set a Lux unless you want to come up off the bed in shock lol Boy do they get you up.

This is my Elgin. Not a good picture but you get the idea. It's 2" across.

Sheila

Alarm Clock

Posts: 3094 | Location: La Plata, Maryland U.S.A. | Registered: May 22, 2004
Picture of Wayne C. Anderson
posted
One of my favorite Alarm Clocks.

Posts: 886 | Location: Nebraska, in the U.S.A. Heartland | Registered: November 22, 2002
posted
This is my Apollo Lux

Sheila

Apollo Lux1

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Hey Kevin, finally got to it. Any editing suggestions are welcome.

greg

posted
Hi Greg i understand there is a posting problem, looking forward to seeing the pictures and diagrams. Smile

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Adjusting the "beat".

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
re-shaping a hairspring

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
re-shaping a hairspring coil that is raised

posted
Thanks Greg, these diagrams and the descriptions really help me alot.I hope these are kept so i can come back and look at them more.
This is very helpful in my clock work.I have a few clocks that need timing and work on the hairsprings.It is tedious work but the only way to learn is practice. Smile Wink Razz

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
While rummaging through some boxes last week...I came upon this. Anyone know the maker or reason for the name? I got it soaking....stay tuned!
greg

posted
That,s a old one, have not seen the name before.I hope you get it running.

posted
Hi Greg,
I suspect your clock was to alert a janitor when it was time to stoke a coal or wood furnace. From the looks of the bell I would think it was good at its job. Smile
Joe

Posts: 450 | Location: St. Louis, Missouri U.S.A. | Registered: October 10, 2004
Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
From the appearace of the dial...I think it was an oil furnace!!! Were it not for a "rip" in it which shows fibers...the dial is so soaked with oil that it has the appearance of celluloid!
Unless its a different material than I know of. It actually is working now, everything is cleaned. I only need to polish the bell,case etc. and put it back together.

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
The Little Janitor finished

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Westclox "Silent Knight" ca.1936-40

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
maker not know to me

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Bet you people can't wait 'till I go back to work, heh? LOL
Greg

posted
Well, you guys piqued my interest. Here's a picture of the Waterbury Relay Jr. I bought at the Southern Ohio Regional. I quess I never paid any attention to alarms but I looked around the show and there were all kinds for sale at the regional.

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Since I have been making a booklet documenting my clocks for my children, I gathered up my alarm clocks. One is an Ansonia brass? 4 1/2 x 3 3/4 with embossed Victorian design around the face, top and sides. Looks like Gregs last posted clock without the top and bottom. Doesn't look like there was ever a glass covering the face. Also have a pink crackled Westclock Baby Ben DeLuxe like Mun C.W.'s that says Pat. March 30, 1927. A pink clear material plastic? Dial, 2 1/4 says Phinney-Walker Alarm, Germany on face and Semca Clock Co. Inc. Germany on back.I also have a Hammond Synchronous made by Hamond Instrument Co.,Chicago, Ill. with calandar & alarm. I guess I had better just clean them up since I have torn up more watches and small clocks than I like to think about. Just a little too small and the old eyes,,,,,,,well,nuff said. See there, Scottie has me writing like him now. I know you all will be glad when I get a digital camera to stop these lengthy post. Sorry,
Marilyn

Marilyn

Posts: 17 | Location: Liberty, Mississippi U.S.A. | Registered: September 06, 2004
posted
Greg,
I just can't believe what I'm seeing!
That Janitor clock is absolutely unbelieveable!

Fantastic!

Sheila

posted
I collect clocks, but I gather alarm clocks. I repair items for a Thrift Shop, free gratis. When an interesting alarm clock come in I feel entitled to put it up on the shelf. I have alarm clocks from Holland, USA, Canada, China, Nanking China, Switzerland, USSR, Germany, Czechoslouvakia, Hungary, Japan and Great Briton. I also have one from Romania ( but can't find it right now ) I certainly enjoy the web site and the articles.
gmaci

Posts: 19 | Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: July 16, 2004
Picture of Carlos Flores
posted
Gordon,
How about posting a picture of your UN clock collection?, it would be interesting to know its nationality... and welcome to the IHC 185.

Greg,
Great work on the restoration of the Janitor clock, are you sure is the same clock? Wink as new, your usual style

Marylin,
Is coming close that digital camera?, to have a peek of your collection.

Regards, and cool thread..

Posts: 325 | Location: Near Mexico City, Mexico | Registered: July 05, 2003
posted
Since I am runnng out of space to hang or place relatively big clocks, I started now getting some alarm clocks. This one below is from the Hamburg American Company in Germany. It was made for the Chinese market and I believe it is from 1910-1920's but I appreciate any more accurate dating.
Jose

Posts: 9 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: February 08, 2005
posted
This is the back of the clock, showing the alarm set up wheel.

posted
Jose,
Your clock appeared in a 1929 HAC catalog and in all probability it was made around that period.

On a slightly different note I post below picture of a Jaeger LeCoultre 8-day alarm clock with triple calendar display windows.
It has a compact and fairly complicated good quality movement. The clock was made around the 1930s

Mun C.W.

Posts: 15 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: October 13, 2003
posted
Mun, that's a very nice clock. They are becoming more difficult to find these days, especially in Singapore! I notice you also live in Singapore. Perhaps we could exchange more communications for further talks. My home email address: sonely@starhub.net.sg
Best regards
Jose

posted
I agree with you Jose that nice clocks are difficult to come by these days.

I'm happy to note you come from Singapore and we certainly can communicate more often.
I've just sent you an email to the address you provided.

Mun C.W.

Posts: 15 | Location: Republic of Singapore | Registered: October 13, 2003
posted
Nice clocks and thanks for posting.Alarm clocks and 8 day clocks are a whole new interesting aspect of horology.
Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Tom,
Welcome to Chapter 185. For your first post you sure picked a winner. That is a fabulous alarm. That art noveau styling is very attractive.

Great pictures, thanks for posting them.

(My want list just got one clock longer.)

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Copper alarm clock, Russian I think. Does anyone know anything about this one?

I got this one for free. I bought a clock from Germany, and was surprised the seller sent this one as a bonus. (Maybe that was a sign I paid too much for the one I bought and he had a guilty conscience?).

Andy Big Grin

copper alarm clock

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002