Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Seth Thomas Calendar-Info?? "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Good evening:
I picked up this Seth Thomas on a buy it now earlier today. Can anyone tell me what model this is, and what the top should look like? I assume it is missing. As always, thank you!
gp

Grant Perry

s1

Posts: 334 | Location: Ottawa, Canada | Registered: January 28, 2003
Picture of Grant Perry
posted

Grant Perry

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Grant,
It looks like a Parlor #3. The top would gradually slope in a straight line from each outer edge to a point in the middle. Not very high. I will scan a picture from Tran's book when I get a chance. I can't do it right now. (Unless someone beats me to it.)

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Thanks Tom. I appreciate the input.
Do these often go missing, and if so, does someone make replacements?
Thanks again,
gp

Grant Perry

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
What do you think of these? It looks like it to me.

The pictures are from Tran's Seth Thomas book , Vol 1.
Top pieces are frequently lost from clocks.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Grant Perry
posted
Tom:
Great. Thank you again. Does anyone make replacment tops for these?
gp

Grant Perry

posted
Grant, I'm not sure anyone makes replacement tops for these clocks. And, I'm also not sure what is missing? From the pics you posted there appears to be something on top. It may be that it only needs to be reveneered. Can you post a pic of just the top.

A couple other options is to try and find an empty case or a badly damaged one that you can either cannibalize to complete this one or at least get measurements to reproduce the top or find someone in your area that has this model where you can use one to make a duplicate copy. You don't see empty cases very often and even badly damaged one are pretty expensive. I saw this model at the Cincinnati regional mart that was missing the dials and needed a lot of veneer work and I think the fellow wanted $800 or $900 for it. Good luck!

Derek

Posts: 172 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky U.S.A. | Registered: July 06, 2004
posted
Grant:
Here is a photo of the Southern Calendar Co. Fashion #1, the case of which seems to be the same as the Seth Thomas Parlor clocks except for the side molding. It has a Seth Thomas movement, as well. It is a part of my father's collection.
He had two of this model, one has a missing top so I would like to have one also, if you find a source.

Pattye

Posts: 119 | Location: Lookout Mountain, Georgia U.S.A. | Registered: October 14, 2004