Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Kudo Mantle(?) Clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi, I have two questions.
Would someone be able to advise me as to whether these clocks are a quality made time piece. If I were to purchase , what should be done to the mechanism before transporting?
Advice welcome Thanks Much, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Hi John,
The abreviated name I believe you are looking for is "Kundo". That is short for Kieninger und Obergfell. Kieninger is still in business, I believe. I personally feel they are a quality made clock, but others may disagree. They made/make a variety of movements. The type I collect are the torsion, 400 day type clocks. These usually have a locking device on the pendulum, on at least ones made since the late 1940s. I believe the torsion models were out of production by 1980 (mechanical ones I am talking about - they still make quartz), but they continue making pendulum models. I also have a newer Kieninger "grandmother - type" clock movmment I hope to one day install in a case. It is 8 day with a Lyre pendulum, and it plays "Ave Maria" on the quarters, or Westminster if you choose. I think it is unusual in that it has 2 weights for the time keeping, and 2 springs for the strike and chimes. I think it was made in the 1980s or 1990s. It will make a nice large wall clock.

Andy

So many clocks, so little time.

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
posted
Hi Andy, Thank you for the reply and the correction on the name. It is a 400 day "anniversary"type clock that I purchased and I did find the mechanism to "cage" the works. It looks to be in very clean condition but I am looking to clean and re oil it before putting it to work. Thank you for your help, John

Posts: 299 | Location: Mount Brydges, Ontario, Canada | Registered: November 10, 2005