• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

French mantle clock - broken balance pivot "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I have a French clock with a platform escapement. Unfortunately the balance pivot is sheared. The overall platform measures 34mm x 23.6mm. Can anyone recommend where or how to fix this economically? It has a nice 'Arts and Crafts' case and I had promised it as a gift to my son.

This has a platform escapement, but unfortunately the balance pivot has sheared. I promised this clock to my son, as it has a nice 'Arts and Crafts' case. Can anyone help me as to how and whether this can be repaired, or a source of parts? The 'platform', as pictured, measures 34.0mm x 23.6mm.

In hope...

platform escapement - 34.0mm x 23.6mm

Posts: 28 | Location: Glascow in Scotland | Registered: October 21, 2009
posted
Here's a view of the case...

'Arts and Crafts' case

IHC Member 43
posted
Jack, Nice little French clock. To repair the balance, a watchmaker would either have to make a new staff or repivot the old one. I doubt that parts would be available.

Curly

Posts: 251 | Location: Ashland, Wisconsin U.S.A. | Registered: November 22, 2002
IHC Life Member
posted
Very cool case! I'm not much of a clock guy, but that has really nice lines,

Posts: 995 | Location: Pleasanton, California in the USA | Registered: September 22, 2012
posted
Good Morning jack,I have worked on several of these over the years and have a new platform balance in my cabinet.A person with good mechanical skills can probably adapt it to your clock.I've even adapted Russian platforms to work on French clocks.Also Timesavers sells a few different ones.They have an on line catalog,just Google Timesavers.Here is a picture of the one I have.Regards.Norm

Posts: 484 | Location: Georgia in the United States | Registered: August 04, 2010
IHC Life Member
posted
Jack,

I came across this today Platform Escapements. The website says he repairs and repivots platform escapements.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Posts: 692 | Location: Washington in the USA | Registered: May 23, 2010
posted
Thank you Curly, Evan, Norm and Steve for your helpful comments and kind words!

I will try to see if I can find a replacement escapement and have emailed 'Platform Escapements' to see if they can help and how much it might cost...