• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Night watchman's clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
I've had this night watchman's clock for a number of years. It seems to keep great time. Can anyone tell me about it?

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
posted
Detail:

Posts: 827 | Location: Bloomington, Illinois in the USA | Registered: September 29, 2008
Picture of Gary E. Foster
posted
Hello Steve, I cannot provide any details about your clock, but I am somewhat familiar with their use. I was formerly employed in a large glass plant. There were stations at various locations that the watchmen were required to visit on their rounds. Each station had a key that had to be inserted into the clock to record that the watchman had indeed made his rounds. These clocks must be well made, as I witnessed one watchman throw one down a flight of steps in an attempt to break it, so he wouldn't have to make his patrol. Like a Timex," it took a licking and kept on ticking "

Posts: 1012 | Location: Western Pennsylvania in the USA | Registered: February 17, 2007
posted
Wow, that is a great story. This thing also has a small spool of paper in it that was supposed to record the time that the watchman clocked into each station. Thanks for your help.

posted
Steve,

Watchclock collecting can be a lot of fun! You can see some at my old defunct website at
http://williamkapp.fortunecity.com/

From there there is a link to Watchclock Notebook which is the Detex site.

happy hunting

Posts: 881 | Location: Arroyo Grande, California USA | Registered: February 22, 2004
posted
Thanks a lot! I will look through this.

Steve

posted
The bulletin had several articles on these clock a few years back. That may help you. I have a " Dexter Newman and a Latham , They have excellent movements.
Did you remove the guard to photograph your clock?
gmaci

Posts: 19 | Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada | Registered: July 16, 2004
posted
No, I'll do that as soon as my daughter returns my camera that she borrowed last week.