• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Elliott ships clock. "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Hi folks. I am currently restoring a Elliott ships clock which I purchased on E-Bay.

I found a strange cog which is split in two lengthwise and sprung loaded so that each half of the cog can move a little under spring pressure?.....I have included a picture and was wondering what on earth this sprung cog does in the movement?.
As you can tell, I am a bit of a novice at the moment but I am learning all the time!.

Posts: 189 | Location: Kent in the United Kingdom | Registered: May 27, 2010
posted
HI Stephen, the the splitting of a gear in two halves that are then spring loaded against each other and the meshig pinion, is usually done to remove any possible play between the gear and the pinion.

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Thanks Peter. As the clock has a sweeping second hand I presume this method allows the hand to turn smoothly?.
Kind regards, Steve.

posted
HI Steve, Yes, this is the equivalent of the friction leaf spring used on center second pinions watches such 4992B and BWR's to ensure a smooth, unidirectional movement of the second hand.

There is a good reason for the "split gear" system used in your watch. This would permit the "pinching" force between the two gears to be set very accurately on a test jig before assembly, thus avoiding any further adjustement.
Regards,
Peter

Posts: 192 | Location: Vicenza in Italy | Registered: February 04, 2009
posted
Thanks Peter. I have re-assembled the clock but this time, I have inserted this cog sprung loaded by a couple of teeth so that it is under spring pressure. I presume this is correct.
Steve.