Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Largest Clock I Own! "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Here is the latest addition to the clock collection.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Nice clock Tom, what kind is it, is it old?
I like the dog on your step too.
Smile

IHC Member 234
Picture of Jim Cope
posted
....fabulous Tom!!!...tell us more 'bout it svp!!!...hope you've got it bolted down, I know where you live... Big Grin

Posts: 872 | Location: Kingsville, Ontario, Canada | Registered: April 16, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
The clock is a brand new Howard Miller. It is cast aluminum and weighs 120 lbs. (Jim, it IS bolted down.) Roll Eyes

It is a double faced clock. Each face has its own battery movement. Not much, from a clockmaker's standpoint, but very neat visually.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
Picture of Andy Krietzer
posted
Tom,
I really like those street clocks, and thought about getting a new one myself. Do you know any book or website with info on the old ones? I was wondering where I might find an old one. I heard there was one at a local flea market a number of years ago for only about $75, and it makes me sick to think I missed that one, and what it might have been. I think it was removed from the Main street walkway when it was redone here in town. They have one there now, and old postcards show several, plus the hanging clocks jewelry stores had. Is there a book specifically that covers these?

Andy

Posts: 1190 | Location: Indiana in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 25, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Andy,
I don't have any reference books on street clocks. They are fascinating. This one is just the right size for the porch or patio. It is not so large that it looks out of place. I have never seen one at a flea market or auction. A real mechanical one would be nicer...but....I am happy to settle for this one....for now. Roll Eyes

Tom

posted
It looks neat Tom, and first glance you would think it was old.
Smile

posted
I have clock envy!

Where can I get one!!??

Jeff

Posts: 764 | Location: Saint Petersburg, Florida USA | Registered: June 26, 2003
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Jeff,
I got mine from Eurich's Clockworld [Phone: (313)563-7345] in Dearborn. It is available from any Howard Miller dealer. If you don't have one in your area, Norm says he can get one to you for $599 shipping included. Norm is an IHC member and a great person to deal with.

Tom

posted
Great addition Tom,

I just bought one myself as 'advertisement'. Klingman's in Grand Rapids had a half off Howard Miller sale so mine was ony $450! It will go in the front courtyard at my house/shop. Not old but very 'serviceable'.

Posts: 179 | Location: Charlotte, Michigan U.S.A. | Registered: March 31, 2004
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Sounds great Bruce. Post a photo when you get it set up.

Tom

posted
Tommy,I was just curious.How did your neighbors take to your clock?Did you get any flack from your civic association?Personally I love it.I think it adds character to the neighborhood and it's also a great reference point for your block.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
Tom,

I will post one in a few months. We are still getting grading on the lawn done this summer. I want to post phots of my shop too (I think you are the one who said he likes to see others shops, yes?) as soon as I get it complete in a month or so. I just tore it apart to finish the other to walls with drywall, paint the floors epoxy, put up a ceiling and recessed lighting and 8' high X 12' wide Slatwall.

Also adding a 'fume extraction' system to the cleaning area. This consists of an old fuel oil furnace combustion blower minus the ignition and fuel delivery parts. This baby cranks out about 500 cfm, way more than those cheap bath fans. The cleaning area will be shut off by 6' closet doors too. Should be just about free of noxious smells. I keep thinking about Barathy who died from pancreatic cancer at 65 and how crowded his shop was. Always smelled like clock cleaner and rinse solution.

Give me a couple months and I'll get some in a separate post.

Clock on!

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Bob,
So far neighbors have reacted favorably. I wondered about city codes. I keep expecting a city car to stop at the house and want to see the permit for erecting a public clock. Dearborn is known for being fussy about things like that. I don't think it will be a problem, It is smaller than a true street clock designed for public places. And I would imaging that it is no more a public clock than a chair on my porch will be public seating. I will keep you posted if anything new turns up!

Tom

posted
Thank you for your reply Tommy,much appreciated.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
I do have a 3D model of my shop to look at. I created it with AutoDesk Inventor. I'll post 'real' pictures in a couple months.

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

This is a great topic!

We're thinking about one of the clocks.

Bruce, your shop is going to be a wonderful addition. Keep us up to date as the work continues!

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
Lindell,

This Memorial Day weekend is the 'big pull' to get the drywall sanded, primed and painted. Then goes in the ceiling & can lights. Paint the floor with RustOleum epoxy (tan with the 'decorative' flakes), trim out then the Slatwall and move in. Have yet to put finish on the kitchen cabinets for the cleaning station, so a good month to finish yet (I do have a full time job too, you know).

Thanks for your attention!

posted
If I may, I will add the largest clock I EVER owned. This was a Howard tower clock, Model 3 stiker. If you have seen a few tower clocks you will know this is a pretty big one. Quite by coincidence there is a picture of the identical clock on page 342 of the June '05 Bulletin. Mine came from the County court house in Marysville, OH and I obtained it in a disassembled condition at an auction of county property in the mid '70s. As with many tower clocks, it had been electrified which meant there were a number of original parts missing. The major parts missing were the cable drum for the time train,13 foot temperature compensating pendulum, all of the gravity escapement parts,and the strike train fan. Over the course of about 2 years I was able to make or find all of the parts to restore the time train to its original condition. I had no luck reconstructing the strike train. It was set up in my basement with a shorter pendulum so I could watch the gravity escapement work. After enjoying it for about 30 years I sold it in 1993.

Dick Bailey

Posts: 5 | Location: Columbus, Ohio USA | Registered: March 25, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Dick,
How great to have a tower clock running in your basement. Probably better that the strike train was not operating. Roll Eyes

I'm glad you added your LARGEST to the thread, and I hope others will do the same.

Tom

posted
May i present my largest pocketwatch?
This is where i found it:

Pocket watch

Posts: 16 | Location: Augsburg, Germany | Registered: May 24, 2005
posted
This is while i restored it:

posted
And here is the place where i had this beautyful watch/clock before i closed my shop. Now i work at home, and the clock must rest in my basement. Frown
The copper sign i added under the watch unfortunately is not on this picture.

Pocket watch

IHC President
Life Member
Picture of Lindell V. Riddle
posted

WHAT A GRRRREAT TOPIC!!!

All these clocks and stories about them are fascinating...

Holger,

Tell us more about that one, how it is powered and such.

A truly beautiful example.

Lindell

Wink

Posts: 10553 | Location: Northeastern Ohio in the USA | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
It is a German model "Hemmer Vilsen". Hope my English will be good enough to describe it.
The hands operate with two 12Volt step motors, and inside is a big 220 Volt neon lamp for night lumination.
The weight of this clock is app.60-80 or more Kilogramms incl. the wall...(rack??) and the coppersign.
The Pocketwatch case is made out of a thick aluminium casting.
I had to renew both glasses. And because i wanted a special impact resistant glas they alone cost me app. a half Howard Miller public clock. Mad

The step motors get minute impulses by a old (app. 1965) 220Volt (220V is the usual home voltage in germany) "Buerk" pendulum clock with Invar pendulum, and mercury filled glas bulbs that operate as contacts. We call this clocks in germany "mother clocks". This mother clock i found on a flea market some years ago. It is made for the german post, and was very cheap when i found it. I had no use for it, but i was glad that i could throw away the radio operated junk that came with my Pocket watch.

These public clocks are still available by Hemmer.
Hemmer Uhren

I hope that some day i can bring this clock back to the public. But in the moment i have no ambitions to open a shop again.
Greetings
Holger

posted
Thanks for posting your clock Holger, your English is fine, I apreciate the pictures also. Smile

Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
LOVE that clock Holger!!! It is just perfect for this group where there is a good deal of clock/watch crossover. Big Grin

Your restoration job was excellent. It sure looked great on your store.

Tom