• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Call-Me "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Recently my brother-in-law found this clock while digging in an old garage. He asked if I could find out its original use.

Posts: 311 | Location: Berthoud, Colorado USA | Registered: December 08, 2002
posted
Dial with hands and "alarm?"

posted
There are three electrical contacts on the left, lower case.

posted
Bottom of clock has an electric "door bell"

posted
Rear controls have no accomodation to "set" an alarm. I took a quick look at the movement and found a fairly simple balance wheel movement with a set of contacts near the "alarm" dial. The rating lever is pushed all the way to one side--a danger sign.

posted
The rear of the clock with wooden panel removed.

posted
Dick,I wonder if thats an old hotel clock.It looks like it may have been used to provide a wakeup call from the front desk via an electrical impulse.Just a guess.
Respectfully,Bob Fullerton

Posts: 181 | Location: New Castle, Delaware U.S.A. | Registered: December 15, 2004
posted
That clock is very much like a Darche. A small flashlight bulb would screw into the socket at the dial. On the side you would have had a squeeze bulb switch. Depending on which terminal you had the switch attached to (on the side), by closing the circuit with the switch, you could ring the electric bell, or light the dial to be seen at night.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003
posted
Ad naseum. If it is like a Darche, a dry cell battery would have gone under the base. It would also electrically ring that bell when the alarm went off. I think Darche advertised their bell would "ring for 32 hours non stop". They were very loud.

Posts: 131 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: February 12, 2003