• TWO Book Offer! •
Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Info wanted on Self Winding clock "Click" to Login or Register 
posted
Wondering about the quality of a Self Winding Clock Co clock. It's apparently a model 18 program clock, and the action of the seconds hand is that of a dead-beat escapement. I assume it has Self-Winding's "F" movement, but can't see behind the dial.

Seller says it has a Seth Thomas movement. He sells clocks he's reconditioned; it's been modified to use "C" batteries, is running and comes with a guarantee. I can get it for about $640.

I'd love to have a good American regulator clock, along the lines of an ST model 2. The Self Winding is spring driven, but how does the movement compare to regulators like the ST 2 quality-wise? The F movement has skeletonized plates, while the ST2 seems to have solid plates.

Thanks

Norman

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
posted
Hi - In my eclectic collection, I have a few Self-Winding clocks. I bought my first one, a Number 10 with the F mechanism, over 35 years ago and it's still running. I've cleaned it a few times, but I've always been impressed with its reliability. They wind once an hour and make a distinctive noise when they do (I like clock noises, myself). I've seen Seth Thomas clocks with the identical case (Seth Thomas did have a line of self winding clocks - I'm not sure of the connections between the 2 companies). The Seth Thomas clocks (spring driven, weight driven and electric) are always more expensive then the Self Winders. I ran the the clock with a very small 6volt motorcycle battery for years, but they really need 3 volts. I have had a couple power supplies for the clocks, but I recently bought a rechargeable "reproduction" battery (around $50.00) on eBay:

The Model 1900R Vintage No. 6 RECHARGEABLE 3 Volt Battery - Ken's Clock Clinic
If you're tired of replacing batteries in your self winding clocks, or you're looking for an attractive alternative to unsightly plastic D-cell battery holders, then the 1900R is for you.
He also sells 1.5 volt batteries, if you want to do a pair.

The number 18 is a nice clock in a fairly large case. The price seems to be reasonable - have you checked eBay and the Internet? It is probably half to a third of what you would pay for a Seth Thomas Number 2 and a lot less than you would pay for the Seth Thomas weight driven or spring driven movement in the equivalent case. However, the ST is a pretty famous clock and no household should be without one. I have had one for over 35 years and have enjoyed it also. If noise bothers you (not me!!), it is a quieter clock. - Jerry

Posts: 1 | Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan USA | Registered: June 30, 2007
posted
Thanks Jerry. I love clock noises, my tall case has a beautiful hour strike, and my Chelsea ships bell is great too. I know Self Winding modified the mechanism for radio station use, but they need really quiet clocks. I'll just have to hear it wind at some point. It's at least temporarily moot, however, as I went to the Brimfield antique shows today, and used up all my available cash. If it doesn't get sold, maybe I'll still have a chance in a little while. BTW, the case may have been cut down, as it's 35" high, not the 41" in Tran Ly's book. Here's a pic

Posts: 153 | Location: Northeastern United States | Registered: December 18, 2005
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
Those self winders are quite interesting. I have seen many, but don't have one in my collection yet. I believe Radio Shack sells a 3 volt power source that some have used.

Interesting clock, even if you don't have it - yet!

Thanks for the posts.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002