Go
Find-Or-Search
Notify
Tools
Reply to Post

Gilbert Crystal Regulator "Click" to Login or Register 
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Can anyone tell me how to date a Gilbert Crystal regulator?

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Tom Seymour
posted
I would refer to Tran's book on Gilbert clocks. Mine is in a box, the location of which is not yet known. Perhaps someone with a book could help. A picture of it would help out. I don't believe there is any date code on the clock itself.

Tom

Posts: 2537 | Location: Mount Angel, Oregon in the U.S.A. | Registered: November 19, 2002
posted
I have Tran's Gilbert book, Bruce. If you can post a photo, I'll look it up.

Posts: 331 | Location: Camarillo, California USA | Registered: May 03, 2005
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Hi Dave, sorry it took so long to get the pic up. My 4 meg camera is now a door stop. These were taken with a very old kodak.. sorry for the quality

Bruce Byrd

Posts: 888 | Location: San Diego, California USA | Registered: December 27, 2002
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
side view

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
rear view

Bruce Byrd

posted
Hi Bruce,
Gilbert actually made several models using the same center section. They just put different tops and/or bottoms on the center section. (Search the archives for 'falmouth' and you will see an example that I have.) However, I'll assume you didn't show the top or bottom as they are just plain brass, which would narrow it down to 2 models: the 'Vista' and the 'Valerie'. The visual difference between these 2 is really just the height. The Valerie is about 9 3/4 inches high and the Vista is about 10 3/4 inches. (There is a gearing difference between the movements as the Valerie has a shorter pendulum. See the 'Falmouth' discussion for more info on this, too.) Tran's book has catalog cuts from 1913 but I believe Gilbert was making both of these models as early as 1903.

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have the Valerie model. I thought the hands on my clock were mis-matched until I saw the picture Big Grin

Thanks again for the info..

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Have you ever worked on one of these before? Be prepared!!

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Greg, It needs a good cleaning as the oil that was used is pretty gummy. I take it you have had one of these apart before? do tell...

Bruce Byrd

Picture of Greg Reeves
posted
Ack! I listed it under a thread...hardest(or maybe it was cheapest) clock movements ever worked on. Actually there were several other posters that agreed. I can't remember it it was on this site or the "green board".

Anyway, the worst part about it is removing the time train mainspring and replacing it, without doing damage to the second wheel (arbor and teeth) and third wheel arbor. Before attempting to remove this spring...STUDY it. I cannot remember if there was a good way to do it. The spring is a "hole end" spring, and the attachment is on that outside guard that you see on the bottom right of the movement. This is very thin brass and more likely than not breaks off. Causing the spring to expand rapidly and damaging the above mentions wheels. Not just one or the other sections of them but all of them! This was achknowleged by the other posters. Be prepared to send those gears out to be replaced(if you don't make gears yourself).

I purchased (from e-bay) a copy movement to "cut down" the cost. Unfortunatly, that movement was in the same shape. I eventually had the 1st and second gears made, and repaired all three lantern pinions as well.

The other thing to watch for is that the third and forth wheel look to be interchangable. Believe me they are not. Although you can interchange them and the clock will work for awhile, it will eventually stop.

Also, the strike side gears actually "cross" the time train and then back again to end at the "fan".

All in all I've promised myself NEVER to touch another one. Unfortunatly I'll probably break that promise, but at least I'll think about it for a while before I tackle another of these.

Maybe this would be a good movement for the infamous repairer...Dunkin Swish! I think that I would certainly try it!

greg

Posts: 497 | Location: Genoa, New York U.S.A. | Registered: November 06, 2003
posted
Greg's original post is here (on this board). And I agree with Greg. The Falmouth was the first clock I bought when I started collecting clocks. It has, by far, the largest time investment in it of any clock or watch I've ever worked on!

Picture of Bruce Byrd
posted
Thanks for the info guys. I am gonna leave mine alone Wink

Bruce Byrd